Sunday, July 03, 2005

Happy 4th of July

What does our country stand for? Or, what should it stand for? Equality. Freedom. As long as same sex couples are denied the right to marry, it stands for nothing.

How can the people of this country stand by as our president announces through his support of the marriage amendment that it is acceptable and desireable to allow discrimination against gay and lesbian people. We contribute and participate in society just like any other group. We pay taxes. We raise families. Yet there isn't an outcry when our leader actively encourages discrimination?

There will be a lot of flag waving tomorrow and talk about freedom. There will be main street parades and fireworks. Families will gather and spend time together, eat good food and celebrate our nation's birthday. It will be meaningless because gay and lesbian people continue to face pervasive discrimination.

The day that I don't say "wife" without a knot in my stomach, the day that M. doesn't change her language because she's afraid to be identified as a lesbian, that will be the day that we can truly celebrate this nation and label it as great.

Until then the fourth of July is nothing more than an excuse to have a day off and a national joke. This is only ONE reason the United States of America is no longer a respected and great nation.

1 Comments:

At 8/06/2005 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I know this is an older blog entry, but I followed your link from Fertility Friend, and I wanted to say "AMEN SISTER" to your comments here! I have never been able to see the constitutionality of remaining a society that does not allow any in-love couple to marry. This country will seem so off to me until the day that my gay best friend has the right to get married right next to me and my hubby-to-be. I wish you two so much luck in your quest for your BFP!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home