Tuesday, December 06, 2005

And it was...

When I finally managed, in my completely fucked up non-communicative fashion, to pose THE QUESTION to DtD the reality of what we are doing hit me hard. What the hell were we thinking?

Well, we have the official answer. It's 'yes'. And it feels FANtastic.

This is the right thing to do. For me. For us. For M. For our child. It provides more people to love and care for that child. It keeps us from approaching the other half of our child's genetic code as a commodity. It will allow us to normalize the process for our child from the beginning and for him or her to always know where she or he comes from. And they'll get two uncles to boot.

It's just good.

Not that using a known donor doesn't come with challenges. It also comes with benefits that you lose when your baby comes from a syringe that arrived via Fed Ex.

M. is happy. DtD is closer to her heritage than mine, actually looks more like her family than mine. He's closer to my height. And he's a good person and that counts for so much.

Peace to everyone out there.

2 Comments:

At 12/06/2005 6:00 AM, Blogger b. said...

Wanted to delurk & give you some big congrats!! My DP & I are just in the beginning stages of trying to figure out how to approach our PKD (I'm "building bridges" tonight, having dinner with him & his partner). So, your story is inspiring with its happy ending. How EXCITING!!!

 
At 12/12/2005 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you guys feel. My DP and I have been going through the process of finalyzing things with donors. We had 2 set backs with 2 seperate donors they initially said yes but when we put it accross what all we wanted and how uninvolved we wanted them well they had changed their mind. So we are back to the drawing board. But this most recent donor looks like a good match. Turns out it is a lifetime friend of my partners who has had a revelation of life and is loving the idea of being a donor on the terms of uncle basically. Anyways our meeting with him is this coming weekend to discuss the gory details and we will see what we come up with. It is nice to know other couples are going through this as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home