Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Morning has broken

For some reason I do a lot of thinking in the shower or in those delicious moments when I lie in bed, my body still heavy with sleep, my brain lightly buzzing with all my hopes and dreams.

This morning I was picturing our baby and visiting M.'s horrid sis and bro-in-law. Her BIL made me cry in Appleby's because he's such an ass. Her sis thinks we're militant homos. Anyhoo, they have 8 y/o twins and I was imagining having to explain our baby to them. It went something like this:

"This is your cousin."

"Are you the mommy?"

"Yes, and Auntie M. is the mommy too."

"Who's the daddy?"

"This baby doesn't have a daddy. It has two mommies that love it just like you have two parents who love you."

"How did you make a baby without a daddy?"

"We had special help from our friend who knew how much we wanted this little one."

"Cool!"


Do I expect the conversation to go like this? Maybe. I'm concerned about BIL/SIL needing to put their own moral judgements onto us. I don't trust that M.'s sis will handle this well, especially since we're using a known donor who will be present in the child's life. It's going to challenge the box she's built around herself.

So yes, SIL, we are miltant homos in the aspect that our having a family like yours is inherently a political act of defiance toward the norm. And if you see living our lives with honesty and openess as a problem, fuck off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home