Thursday, August 30, 2007

KD Stuff

DtD leaving for a while has me thinking about our decision to use a known donor. M. and I are going to miss him quite badly and we think the whole thing sucks, sucks, sucks.

I know the decision to use a known or anonymous donor is a highly personal one. Each has its positives and negatives. I know some people have nightmare experiences using a KD. For us, using a KD has been the right decision. It's been incredibly challenging at times and has brought up more issues than I ever expected, but ultimately it's working and working well.

We love our donor. There's such a bond that comes from creating a life together. I've said this before, but we decided to use a KD for Finn. We wanted him to 100% transparency about his conception and background. Neither M. or I ever expected to get such an intimate relationship with DtD. I know that sounds a bit naive but I can tend to be a bit naive anyway. He's not perfect but he's an incredibly good person who is truly devoted to his friends and family.

In a strange way, having Finn here makes us love our KD even more. They are forever connected. When I look at Finn I can see bits of DtD and when I look at DtD I see parts of the son M. and I worked so hard for. I don't know what the future will bring, but I can imagine we will have a very special life-long friendship with DtD and that makes me happy.

2 Comments:

At 8/30/2007 10:28 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

It's interesting to hear about having a KD since we don't. I'm sure your relationship will always be close simply because he is your donor. Almost like family--you'll always want to be in touch. Great choice of a donor, obviously. Things have really worked out well and Finn is incredibly cute and smart. :)

 
At 8/30/2007 7:00 PM, Blogger JS said...

I agree...having a known donor DOES bring up things you could never imagine. And our boy isn't even here yet. It's nice to know that the bond is stronger than you expected. I can only hope that ours ends up that way too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home