Thursday, August 23, 2007

Adventures in Pumping

I'm almost done with my first long stretch back at work. I can't wait to hang out with Finn for my five day break. It's been okay being back. Having M. at home with our boy makes it 100% better.

Pumping has been an experience.

I pump four times a day. Once when I get up. Then I feed the boy. I then have to find three other times during the day to feed the mechanical baby.

The hospital I work at has one...ONE...lactation station. It's on the seventh floor in the wing furthest away from where I work. And to get there I have to take the most ancient set of elevators in the complex, which means I spend sometimes over five minutes waiting for the elevator.

Since we have ONE lactation station, I have to schedule my pumping times. Uh, yeah...that works for a busy floor nurse. Ha. I have to make sure all my patients are stable, pass my meds and find someone to watch my phone in order to go pump. And if I miss my time, I may not be able to use the room.

All for our beautiful breast-fed baby.

The states have a terrible average breast feeding time...I think six months. Considering that we mostly have no support for new mothers to stay home with their children, I'm not surprised that many women decided to stop breast feeding after they return to work. Pumping is a nightmare, and I have the benefit of a supportive environment.

5 Comments:

At 8/23/2007 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually just lurk on your blog but have posted back-to-back comments. lol. Pumping does suck but it is so worth it. Fortunately, I am only working PT so I don't have to pump as much. It does get easier and it helps to remind yourself that you will be in a special minority if you can keep it up. We are about to hit a year and then I am hanging up the pump -- partly because my boy doesn't nurse as much now anyway. One thing that will help is to pump some at home so you can build up a good freezer supply. This will help on days when you don't get to pump as long as you should or even those bad days when you might miss a session completely or hit a session really, really late. Good luck!

 
At 8/23/2007 8:44 AM, Blogger party b said...

One thing I learned as the semester went on was that I could eventually go longer between pumping and still get plenty, even more. But that takes time. I got into pumping once before I went to bed and then spread out pumping at work by an extra hour or so. That doesn't help with actually getting to the room but you have to get there less often.

And, yes, as I trekked my pump and laptop and student papers and my lunch and everything else I needed to teach across campus I was acutely aware of why American women have hideously low rates of breastfeeding. But it is healthy and I did it. And now no more pumping but she's still nursing - the challenges remain!

Oh, and I got to the point where I just pumped with my back to my officemate so she could work and I could pump and that was that!

 
At 8/23/2007 10:08 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

That sounds hard. Sorry it's so difficult. Yay for you for doing it anyway!

 
At 8/23/2007 2:25 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Sounds like it is hard to schedule that in, especially with a job like yours where it's not scheduled. The only reason we get a year off in Canada is because of breastfeeding--they fought for that. I think our countries should really care more about the welfare of our babies and give us time to raise them.

 
At 8/23/2007 4:37 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Is there anywhere else you can pump in the building? I mean, it's nice to have a lactation station but not if it's such a hassle to get to. Most women don't have a pump room - I pumped in a storage closet for 8 months. Bring an iPod or a book, set yourself up, and lock the door. Is that an option?ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home