Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Holding Pattern & Nursing Sheep

We're officially off TTC until 2009. DtD isn't coming home for another year. M. and I aren't happy on many different levels. She'll be older, meaning it will be harder to get her knocked up. Finn won't have his donor in his life regularly until he's 2.5 years old. We'll spend another year without our friend.

THIS WAS NOT IN OUR PLANS.

We're going to take advantage of this time. M. is going to acupuncture and will see a naturopath to work on getting her cycles fine-tuned. We're going to get a commitment from DtD about starting to TTC the moment he steps off the plane. Another year means we've lost any wiggle room to be casual about starting trying for #2.

And if he's not still with us, we'll need to start looking for a new KD.

We are sad, here in the M,S & F household. Well, Finn isn't sad but mama and mommy are.

Nursing Sheep

On a lighter note, we have the fucking cutest kid in the world. Yes, a typical parental statement, but I swear it's true.

We were sitting around with DtD and BF yesterday when Finn decided he wanted to nurse. No problem. I whipped out the boob and Finn happily suckled away. Then he suddenly pulled off, grabbed his stuffed sheep and put it to my breast while making little sucking/drinking sounds.

DtD said, "well, that was unexpected."

HA HA.

I'm finding that going beyond a year nursing is a minority amongst my mom-friends, but nursing into toddlerhood means moments like watching your son offer his stuffed sheep a bit of mommy milk. Just adorable, and something I wouldn't trade for the world.

12 Comments:

At 8/12/2008 2:03 PM, Blogger A said...

just a random idea here... could DTD do some frozen samples for M to use while he's gone?
SO happy to hear he got to see Finn (again). That's one of the wonderful +s to KDs. It's a great solution.

 
At 8/13/2008 6:47 AM, Blogger lullabies gobyebye said...

That short but cute story is one that gives me motivation to keep nursing my son past his first birthday. He will be 1 on saturday, and everyone expects me to just cut him off right then. Thanks for letting me know that the fun goes on with olympic nursing and feeding your sons stuffed friends.

 
At 8/13/2008 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same thought as anniep - coud DTD freeze some samples?
Elizabeth

 
At 8/13/2008 9:13 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

We've got nursing requests from stuffed animals here, too! It's super cute.

 
At 8/13/2008 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My DD is 15 months and still nurses mostly at night and when she needs comforted. She has not offered my milk bar to her stuffed animals BUT she has tried to nurse her stuffed animals herself!!! IT IS A HOOT!! As for the nursing into 'toddlerhood' I say YOU GO girl...nursing after a yr is not a bad thing as most people will say. I love that time with my DD. Even though it maybe mostly at night, that is still our cuddle time. Oh yeh and it is in OUR FAMILY BED!!! (sorry had to throw a bit of support in there on that one as well... lol)


Good luck with the TTC journey as well!!

 
At 8/13/2008 12:45 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

that's tough that you have to wait... :(

 
At 8/13/2008 5:57 PM, Blogger Shelly said...

"Nursing Sheep" is one of the best nursing stories I've ever heard. Soooo sweet.
I love your site although I'm continually amazed by all the controversy that your stories about life with your family seem to stir up in people.
Anyway, just wanted you to de-lurk for a moment and tell you I'm here, loving your stories about your sweet family.

 
At 8/14/2008 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about the news on your KD. Our KD lives in another state so we had his stuff frozen. Maybe that's a possibility?
southwesterngemini from IVP

 
At 8/14/2008 6:44 PM, Blogger Carrie Jo said...

Finn is too cute!

 
At 8/14/2008 7:24 PM, Blogger ajs4ever said...

Funny story!! I second the whole freeze that stuff and use it when you can idea:)

 
At 8/18/2008 6:23 AM, Blogger Kathryn said...

I agree with the frozen idea. I know a couple who had a known donor freeze some swimmers for them. He donated once or twice and they ended up with 35 vials of swimmers to store and use at their leisure. I believe that they had to wait six months due to quarantine regulations with the bank, but as soon as that was up, the first shot they used like seven of the vials and bam... pregnant!
There's a bank up in WA that will work with you and they're pretty inexpensive as well.

 
At 8/23/2008 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story, so wonderful. I agree with you, I wouldn't trade nursing my toddler for anything. 2.5 years (almost) and still going. My new love is when he pops off and says, "mama! there's milk in there!" Like it is his little secret. :)
Kwynne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home