Sunday, July 27, 2008

Unstoppable Force Meet Immovable Object

M. and I spent 15 years perfecting our relationship before Finn came along. We were happily ensconced in our cocoon of relational bliss. Somehow I thought all of that work would transfer over to parenting together. We had it all down pat so surely parenting would be a snap. No problem.

Uh, yeah.

I feel like we're starting all over again. Year sixteen is really year one in our parenting relationship. The bumps and bruises from those early years when we were ironing things out are back and looming. It's hard.

I have to be honest that our disagreements were there before, but we'd found a way to live with them. We had our dysfunctions but we'd worked through them and they didn't impact the bigger picture. Never let anyone lie to you, living with another human being is hard, hard work. I'm starting to think that parenting with another human being is even harder.

Sometimes I feel like things would be better if we could be in our own little worlds. M. could do things her way in her world and I could do things my way and everything would be okay. Except that is so, so, SO wrong because I'm not including a very important part of the equation. Finn. He would be the one who would have to negotiate between the worlds.

This post is not the beginning of the end. It's just that we're struggling and I think struggling is normal. M. would laugh at me and ask if I had really expected to get through this parenting thing without having to actually work. I might answer "yes" because in a way I felt like we are so good together it's inevitable that we'd be the best, most kick-ass-on-the-same-page-always-agreeing parents on the face of this earth.

But we're not. What we are is stubborn, rock solid and loving, and that will get us through even the worst days. And like our relationship, our parenting together will be hard and challenging, but we will only get better and better at it.

5 Comments:

At 7/28/2008 9:48 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Parenting can be stressful in regards to your relationship but as you said, you work through it. It's a whole other dynamic now...

 
At 7/28/2008 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well one big start to getting a close and cohesive relationship, is to probably put your son in his own room and his own bed. Co-sleeping is wonderful and a great way to bond, but grown ups need to bond too. They need alone time. Not just for sex, but to just BE together. To talk and not talk. To fight, to love, to have adult time. That doesn't involve a baby.

Sure co-sleeping is great in the beginning, and every once in a while after...nothing makes me feels as great as watching my kids sleep and holding them for sleepy snuggles...BUT...adults need adult time. You're doing a diservice to Finn if you don't allow yourself the opportunity to be a grown up.

 
At 7/28/2008 8:47 PM, Blogger ajs4ever said...

I hear ya sister!!! PArenting is tough! You add these wonderful little creatures into the equation and things do get difficult at times. Hang in there and keep the lines of communication open. You will get through it even stronger than before:)

 
At 7/29/2008 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this is a better place to leave this comment than the post from April that got me started :)

The nursing bond, the oxytocin connection, social acceptance of the "second" mom, obvious evidence of a genetic relationship as the kid ages . . .
How have queer mom couples been able to address these imbalances as they've come up??

My partner and I are starting to plan our family and I am totally paralyzed by fears of being left out. Egg-swapping or early adoption would be ideal, but there's no way we can afford either one. What strategies actually WORK to make both parents get to feel like "real" parents? And am I neurotic to be worried about this?

 
At 7/29/2008 1:50 PM, Blogger Meredith said...

Wow, 15 years? That's really commendable! ITA that parenting is a whole new relationship. I was the opposite of you, though-I thought it would be super hard and we would have a rough time making things work as a couple and as parents. It's ended up being hard work, but SO much fun for the two of us.
And I know you probably don't want to hear someone mirroring the first anon, but it is great having our son in his own room. We often stay up cleaning or doing other chores, but on the nights when we can get in bed alone and read, talk, make out, whatever, it is awesome! I wasn't against cosleeping, but our son was so noisy when he slept, that we got the crib going very early on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home