Friday, August 17, 2007

Dating Other People

I'm not the world's most social person, so I thought having a baby would be a whole new opportunity to bring more friends into our lives. After all, we were about to join the Happy Baby Club of new motherhood, where we all sit around and support each other while eating wholesome baked goods and singing children's songs.

Reality check.

It's still not so easy to make friends. Our lives are about the same as before Finn came along, except we don't see our five regular friends nearly as often. My dreams of days filled with play dates and nights filled with pot luck dinners and good conversation were slowly circling the drain.

Until today.

We were at our favorite Seattle baby shop when two women and a baby walked in. Since we live in the 'uh,-yeah-I'm-queer-so-what-about-it-I-have-a-lot-of-other-interesting-characteristics' world of Seattle, we lesbians don't usually go out of our way to acknowledge each other. As I was watching them from across the store I was praying this would go differently than the usual nod and smile. It was your basic 'hey, what's your sign' beginning - general admiration of baby clothes, asking baby ages, and all that other somewhat interesting crap we parents talk about. Then phone numbers were exchanged. Then we had lunch. And dessert.

Best. First. Date. Ever.

Yes, M. and I are dating other people. As in other people with babies. Maybe there's a play dat and pot luck in our future yet!

2 Comments:

At 8/18/2007 3:58 PM, Blogger ajs4ever said...

Sounds like fun! It feels good to make new friends:) I hope you have a potluck soon- hehe!!

 
At 8/19/2007 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Even with a wee one, you still need that interaction!!

I love your site and your boy is simply ADORABLE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home