Thursday, August 09, 2007

Food!

Dinner, originally uploaded by Sacha Digi.

Finn is really watching us eat. Today I was sitting at the computer with him in the Bumbo. I noticed he was awfully quiet and looked down to find our son watching me shovel food into my cake hole, his bright eyes following every single bite. And he loves cups. We now give him cups to play with at coffee shops and restaurants. He stares at our Nalgene bottles (which I'm thinking of trashing and switching to non-plastic). He watches us drink.

I know it's the oral phase, but the boy is really all about the mouth. His and ours.

I had a brief moment of grief a couple weeks ago when I realized that Finn starting solids would mean my boobs would have competition. It's sad. It's yet another step away from us.

Food is one of my great loves. I love to cook, to bake, to feed, to eat. I can't wait to share this with Finn, to carefully pick out all the wonderful things in this world and learn what his likes and dislikes are. I know he will break my heart at some point and attempt to exist only on chicken nuggets and pizza (wait, I think I could exist on pizza!), but until that moment I will work to help him develop a varied palate.

I've started reading Feeding the Whole Family in preparation, and I've checked what day October 2nd falls on to make sure I'm not working. We're going to a first foods class this weekend as well.

We'll start solids no earlier than 6 months, but M. and I have decided in the meantime that Finn can start having tastes. His first taste? Mashed yams from Whole Foods, rich with cream and ginger. He liked it. Second taste? Oatmeal. Not as much of a fan. I can understand that.

5 Comments:

At 8/10/2007 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I miss something? What is the significance of Oct. 2?

 
At 8/10/2007 8:40 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

I think he turns 6 months then.

Riley hates her cereals--barley and oatmeal. :P

 
At 8/10/2007 8:49 AM, Blogger Sacha said...

Six months!!! M. thinks I'm crazy. :)

 
At 8/10/2007 4:46 PM, Blogger party b said...

Hannah is a food lover. I had a *really* hard time with her starting solids. It helped that she wasn't like devouring the yams we gave her 3 days after she turned 6 months.

Now... NOW she loves food and I am saddened that I purchased (organic local) whole cow milk today ... so she can try it... And I am hoping she hates it ;-) but also that she likes it...

Oh, and the ONLY cereal H has ever loved is a recent addition - Shredded Wheat!

 
At 8/10/2007 9:48 PM, Blogger HippyPoppins said...

I had all of these grandiose ideas that MY child would be this great eater. I made all my own baby food and gave him everything that I could possible think of...I even made my own cereal. It was great...he ate almost everything I made. Then he turned 2 and wouldn't touch a vegetable at all. He eats just about every fruit out there and LOVES avocados...but no vegetables. Then there is the meat...I swore that I would never feed my son hot dogs or chicken nuggets or any of that crap...He now gets most of his meat protein from uncured antibiotic and hormone free hot dogs....Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home