Thursday, October 18, 2007

Non-Kid Releated...

Okay, sort of kid related.

When I was pregnant one of my biggest worries was how having a family would affect my career. I think I've said this before, but I like what I do and I want to work. I wouldn't mind working less, but that's not possible at the moment.

I've made what feels like a big decision. I work as a acute care medicine RN. For those in the biz, it's the dreaded floor. I've always thought I would spend a couple years on the floor then make the leap to critical care. I've been wavering back and forth since I returned from maternity leave on applying to the ICU and I finally decided that if I really did want to apply I would have done it a long time ago.

I'm staying put.

My career is still important to me, but I've come to realize that I'm actually happy where I am. It's a hard job and I'm working the trenches, but I really like it. A lot of nurses use acute care experience as a stepping stone to what they see as bigger and better things, leaving the floor filled with new grads and burned out nurses.

I'll re-evaluate in a year and in the meantime, I'm planning on kicking a lot of ass and taking a lot of names.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home