Friday, January 04, 2008

The Nap Mom

M. is becoming The Nap Mom.

Finn and I get into the rocking chair, turn on the music, and the wailing starts. M. walks into the room and he starts reaching for her, sobbing, asking her to come SAVE him from this inept creature who has captured him in her arms.

And the cherry on the sundae? He chose bottle over breast this morning. It happens occasionally. I'm not too offended. Or whiny. Not too much.

We all have our ways of interacting. Finn and M. have a good interaction when it comes to going for a nap. I tend to be more impatient. But I'm definitely the night-time mom, because of the boob. Sometimes on my work-nights he just outright says NO BOTTLE, and goes to sleep without any nursing because he wants the boob.

I'm roughhouse mom. Finn and I jump on the bed and wrestle, swing around and bounce. M. wants me to add that SHE roughhouses as well. She does. I'm just trying to find something I do besides the boob.

It's kind of cool to start seeing what each of us is to our son. It's kind of sad too. It means that we're not equal, but in reality, we never were. We just work incredibly hard to uphold the illusion and always strive for getting as close to equality in parenting as we possibly can.

3 Comments:

At 1/04/2008 10:04 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

It is interesting how they choose one parent over the other for certain things. Erik is really content with both of us, but there are certain things he wants one or the other of us for. Kim is the nap time mommy. She is much better at getting him down for his naps. He goes easily now, but for a while it was a bit of a struggle and she just had more patience than me, and he cooperated better for her than he did for me. Even now the two of them have a little routine that works for them. She reads him a story and he sits quietly in her lap listening and then he goes right to bed. I read him a story and he squirms and wants down. But I'm the bath time mom. Kim gives him a bath sometimes too, but for some reason he doesn't like it as much when she does it (and if anyone else does it he screams his head off.)

 
At 1/04/2008 5:39 PM, Blogger JS said...

I finally get what you mean about being "the boob". It's all I am...and sometimes that seems too much to handle. It's hard when I can't play with him like C does because I swear he can smeel breastmilk when he gets too close to me. I imagine it does get hard, in a way, when they get older and show preference. Ahhh...the joys of parenthood. It's only just begun.

 
At 1/06/2008 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love reading this because we have it going on too - Rose is "fun mom" and when Edie wants to play she chooses Rose now, every time.

Unfortunately, it also means that Rose hasn't put her down successfully for a nap since she was 3 months old, because every time she tries Edie is like "fun mom! playtime! wheee!" and has to resort to driving her around in the car if I'm not around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home