Monday, March 31, 2008

A Year Ago Today: The Beginning of the End


Thirty Nine Weeks and Two Days, originally uploaded by Sacha Digi.

Well, really the beginning of the beginning.

I was so determined that I would hold out until the very last possible day and keep our baby in. Seems my body decided to do things differently. I was incredibly uncomfortable but had been that way for weeks and weeks. I was crying myself to sleep in pain. But still we were going to do everything we could for the well-being of our baby, and we are still doing exactly that.

My first thought when my water broke was "oh shit!" And it's amazing how much fluid can gush from one's vagina. It's not the cute, sometimes embarassing, often comical splash that happens on TV. It was a river. I waddled into the living room where M. was sleeping, thinking about how I was going to break this news to her. I have a tendency to downplay things. "Uh, honey, I kind of, well, broke my ankle..." so I decided to just say "sweetie, my water broke".

So begins the beginning. Of a labor that culminated in a birth that went exactly how we didn't want. Of parenting the most wonderful, challenging, intense little boy. Of pushing our relationship to the limits. Of learning to be parents together.

7 Comments:

At 3/31/2008 9:16 AM, Blogger andrĂ©e said...

Lovely. Happy birthday to Finn. And to you and M: congratulations of the highest order.

 
At 4/01/2008 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful belly!! And your son is gorgeous and you are doing a great job....
Trust me - as a teacher I deal with hundreds of parents who treat their children as an afterthought - an annoyance or inconvenience -
Even when I feel like giving myself the shittiest mom of the year award - at least I am thinking of how to better my children's life...

You rock -
keep it up -
You are doing a great job.

Shannon

www.opinionhated.easyjournal.com

 
At 4/01/2008 6:21 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Happy birthday Finn!!!!

 
At 4/01/2008 5:54 PM, Blogger ohchicken said...

happy birthday and anniversary!

(btw i tagged you.)

 
At 4/01/2008 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday beautiful Finn! And happy anniversary to your whole lovely family. May this be just the first in many more wonderous milestones.

 
At 4/02/2008 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Finn and Happy giving birth day!

 
At 4/02/2008 4:54 PM, Blogger Angele said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FINN!!!! You're a toddler now. Don't go to hard on your moms. : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home