Monday, March 24, 2008

Proof We Haven't Lost Our Tight-assed Lesbian Cards

M. and I were at our fave toy store the other day and this conversation took place.

Sacha: Hey, look at this cute Playmobil set (holding up a set with a boat, fisherman and orca whale).

M.: What about it?

Sacha: It has an orca. You love orcas.

M.: Why is the orca in the boat? Is the fisherman catching the orca?

Sacha: I don't think so. We should get it. He could play with it in the bathtub.

M.: I don't want more plastic toys for the bath.

Sacha: You love orcas?

M.: I don't like anything that encourages whale watching.

Sacha: Okay.

So Finn doesn't have the cute boat with fisherman and orca.

3 Comments:

At 3/24/2008 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's wrong with whale watching? I mean, yeah, I can see the evils in whale hunting and in catching whales and making them do our bidding, but just sitting on a boat, not bothering them, just watching? I don't understand.

 
At 3/24/2008 1:55 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

whale watching boats tend to get too close to the whales, especially the Canadians. And orcas are incredibly intelligent animals - they get used to the boats and that's dangerous. Luna, a sweet baby boy whale who had been seperated from his pod - was recently killed by a boat propeller because he got too used to people and boats.

Then there's the environmental impact of diesel.

M. is very passionate about whales. She loves orcas.

 
At 3/30/2008 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the fisherman just HAPPENED upon the orca!

I hate to admit I once took whale watching trip off the coast of Maine. We saw maybe 1 whale at great distance. I wanted to see whales but was conflicted about the idea of the boat getting up too close to large numbers of whales and bothering them...that troubles me too.

However, I probably would not have put such pressure on the poor plastic fisherman as to assume he was doing something so sordid. On the other hand, I can certainly see Megan's POV on that too...what dilemmas we have!!

(Meanwhile, L & I are have arguments about my "appropriate" use of the word "damn" in front of Kate, who has now learned to ALSO use it "appropraitely". Unfortunately, she is not discerning enough to know NOT to use in front of, say, my parents, who will, in fact, be horrified...ah the ongoning traumas of parenthood!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home