Friday, December 04, 2009

Don't Go There

The egg is out the gate. M. won't let me give it a name, but if I were to name it, I would call it Slick. Why? Because it's the phoenix, rising from the ashes of our previous TTC. It's a rebirth. It's the Rebirth of Slick, which is an awesome song from one of my favorite albums ever.

I'm very busy Not Going There.

I remember our very first ever cycle. It was crazy making. We hadn't figured out that we were most likely NOT pregnant yet. We were sure that we were. Every little twinge, every little urp, every little slightly strange movement of my body was a BABY. And here we are again, and I am determined, intent, to NOT GO THERE.

It's been pretty funny.

M: I've been burping a lot.

Me: Don't go there.

M: I have really bad heart burn.

Me: Don't go there.

M: It's a full moon.

Me: Don't go there.

M: I'm breathing...

Me: DON'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tell ya, it's hard not to go there. Any little thought I have about the fact that we might be pregnant, we might have another baby soon, we might need baby clothes and bottles and sweet little diapers, I just shove it back into the dark corners of my mind.

I think it's because I know this is really our last shot. We don't have the money to do a lot of interventions beyond an IUI. And we now KNOW what it means to have a child, and we know that it's not all wonderful, and we know it's going to mean not sleeping again and being tired and cranky, and we know it will probably last for a year. We know it will hurt Finn, even if it's a good thing, it's going to hurt him, and that is the last thing we want to do. We know this will stretch our already stretched finances even further.

We know this is a big fucking deal.

So I'm promising myself that this time I'm going to make it through this without feeling like I'm on the edge of breaking down. This is why I'm not going down the road to Crazytown. I swear.

My heart tells me that we'll get pregnant and my mind tells me that if we don't, we'll be okay.

8 Comments:

At 12/05/2009 5:07 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Fingers crossed for you.

You know, the second time around (in having a baby, not ttc) is much easier. You are already living with a child so your schedule/life is in that mode. I think the first child changes your life sooo much that it's difficult. The second, you're already there.

As for Finn, I don't see why it would hurt him. Yes, attention won't only be on him but that's not a bad thing. Riley loves having a baby brother. They interact and laugh together. She feels like there is another kid in the house. It's a good thing. It is very easy to intergrate the baby into your house. The older child can still get attention when the baby is young and that attention can come when you're feeding the baby or holding the baby.

 
At 12/05/2009 11:07 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Hoping your ttc journey is quick! Good luck!

I know what you mean about feeling like having a second will hurt the first. I had lots of guilty feelings about it and sometimes still do when my son wants me to do something and I can't because I'm busy with the baby. But I read something the other day that really made sense to me: You are not taking anything away from your first child. You are giving your child a sibling, a wonderful gift that will add to his life rather than take away from it (although it might feel like it at first!) Our son adores his baby brother (and the baby adores him!) and he often asks to include the baby in games he's playing. He can't wait for him to be big enough to play with him. It's really wonderful to see their relationship developing already.

I completely agree with what Stacey said about the second baby being easier. Even though our second was colicky, it still felt easier because you're already used to the sleep deprivation, having to get up early, not having enough time to yourself, etc.

 
At 12/05/2009 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there are times, in fact i know so as she's told us!!, that our first would rather we hadn't had another baby but those times are far outweighed by the times they laugh, play and make mischief together. Having two is different but for us so much better. All the worries about not having enough love, sibling jealousy, lack of sleep etc are nothing when you see the way they look at each other and when you have them both snuggling (and fighting for room!)on your lap - heaven!!
Just try and enjoy the time you have with each other and don't think about the future too much as it will soon be here!
Fingers crossed and lots of positive thoughts heading your way....
Nic x

 
At 12/07/2009 8:58 AM, Anonymous April said...

Wooo Hooo!!! I am so excited for you two!! Here's to seeing your BFP soon! :o)

By the way, having two children is the most amazing 'job' you will ever have. Not any two days are the same. You NEVER get bored. As much laughter one can take. And the joys are priceless!

I have two girls, 10 yrs and 2 1/2 yrs. They are the best thing I have ever worked for. I too used donor sperm to conceive and I would not take anything for my ups and downs on this journey. Don't get me wrong there have been days that I want to run away, but then my 2 1/2 year old flashes those kissable dimples or my 10 year old hugs me tight and my world is calm!

Good luck ladies! you two are going to do just fine! :o)

April

 
At 12/13/2009 5:02 AM, Blogger ohchicken said...

it's a week later, and i wanted you to know i'm sending non-crazy, hopeful thoughts your way.

we are in the same "big fucking deal" boat over here.

big x to all of you.

 
At 12/13/2009 3:37 PM, Blogger Dana said...

Bobbing along with you... Good luck to all!

 
At 12/14/2009 11:08 AM, Blogger Someday..... said...

I am thrilled for you -
I had a hysterectomy in April (and I have followed you since conception of Finn) - so I can live vicariously through you !! I have 3 daughters - and I LOVE it (most of the time) -
I have chatted with you before - I recommended the "Highly Spirited Child" book :)
Good luck and I am so looking forward to YOUR journey!!!

 
At 12/15/2009 2:02 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

we're having blog problems and have finally made the move to wordpress: http://babycakesblog.wordpress.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home