Thursday, May 21, 2009

Potty Learning

Somehow potty learning snuck up on us.

We started putting Finn on the potty at 11 months with visions of him being out of diapers by the age of two. Then our baby became a squirrely toddler with so much more to do then sit around on the pot. So potty learning went to the back burner.

Then we went diaper free. Like, last week. And somehow our kid decided to use the potty. On his own.

Huh?

We went with it. First for a few hours. Now he's diaper-free all day except for naps. And he pees and poops on the potty. As long as he isn't too tired or in too much pain or too distracted or too busy playing. He trots his cute little buns into the bathroom, sits down, pees, then puts his pee in the toilet.

I usually ignore him while he's doing this. No one claps for me, or praised me, or gives me stars or stickers or M&Ms when I pee, and I don't have a potty chart. So neither does Finn. But I'm secretly bursting with potty JOY and every once in a while I give him a spontaneous MY-BOY-WENT-TO-THE-POTTY hug.

Now I have visions of potties dancing in my head. I had resigned myself to Finn being out of diapers maybe by four. Maybe not. Maybe sooner. So we're looking for a portable potty seat and he's wearing his big boy underwear on outings, and we're bringing changes of clothes, and my baby is so BIG.

Potty learning, here we come.

5 Comments:

At 5/22/2009 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations. Besides the immense joy of a milestone for big boy Finn :), it's great for the environment!

donna

 
At 7/07/2009 9:55 AM, Anonymous April said...

Knock knock.... any one home??

 
At 8/04/2009 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss hearing about Finn and your lives as moms. Hope all is well. (Katherine from FF)

 
At 8/24/2009 7:21 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

how's the pottying going?

miss your posts.

 
At 9/08/2009 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss your posts and pics -
if you have moved on to another site, please let me know -
perhaps facebook??
Shannon Kennedy Sawyer
ssmonte72@yahoo.com
I have followed you (and posted a few times) through out your pregnancy and Finn's first years. I enjoy your spin on life and often feel you express my own angst in your words....
Shannon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home