Saturday, July 29, 2006

Four Weeks, Two Days

First, thank you and hugs and well-wishes to everyone who is reading, and commenting. M. and I are overwhelmed. Both with the news that we are pregnant and by the response here.

A few thoughts on being pregnant.

It took an entire crowd to make this baby. Two docs, one donor, our friend Jess who stated that morning "my cousin got pregnant so now you can too!" then called us in the middle of the IUI, Roy who blessed the sperm on the way to the IUI, Kim, my acupuncturist who worked so hard to help me see that the rest of the world's journey is not MY journey, countless readers of this blog, as well as all our heart and soul.

Ironies? You know we can't have life without irony. We have our date and room for our 6+ months queer TTC group AND we convinced our neighbors who have been TTC longer than us to come to our kick off meeting. We working on accepting that they may hate us from now on. And we won't be able to lead the group.

What's next? We have beta #2 on Monday. I made an input appointment with Dr. G. for August 11th.

How's the physical stuff? I feel mildly crappy. Head hurts. Stomach uncomfortable. Gassy. M. thinks I'm in for a rough ride because I tend to be quite sensitive to my every day hormones.

What made us pregnant? Isn't this what everyone is grasping for, that magical combination of events that lead to sperm uniting with egg and egg deciding to stick around? M. and I are a little confounded on this issue. We could say the IUI, but our timing was crap. We could say the unusually large donation volume from DtD for our first home insem, but we amazingly enough only got about half in because of various mishaps. The one thing I can point to that I think may have been part of it...I had what appeared to be an unusually strong ovulation for me. Who knows???

Part of me is happy that we can't point to one thing. I haven't lost my conviction that TTC is the world's biggest mind fuck and crap shoot.

I'm worried. Surprisingly enough, not about getting that little frog sitting in my uterus out. After all, lots of women get it out so it goes to figure that I will too. Not about the bajillion decisions we have to make now. Not about the baby sticking.

I'm worried about losing touch with TTC, that now that we're pregnant all the pain will wash away and we'll be left in some sort of glowing stupor, unable or unwilling to reach out to those around us who are still struggling. I'm worried that at some point I will casually tell someone else who is struggling with TTC that it should happen because it happened to us, not respecting their journey or their pain. I always thought that I would wear these seven months as a battle scar, a constant reminder that there is too much pain in the world, too much heartbreak. I don't want to lose sight of that.

Last thoughts.
  • Although we have the gold standard of a beta test, M. has been making me pee on sticks. He he.
  • It's nice to not want to kill pregnant women any more.
  • We can go into baby stores without having an emotional meltdown now!

10 Comments:

At 7/29/2006 9:35 AM, Blogger Elowyn said...

Congrats!

OK, now that that's out of the way - I think all those fears are so very normal. I know I still feel pretty in touch with TTC - but it's only been what, 3-4 months since I was in the thick of it, and it seems like a lifetime ago.

Isn't going to the baby store and not being sad fun? Congrats beautiful ones. I'm so happy for you!

 
At 7/29/2006 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you two! It figures that the one day I didn't check your blog was the day you posted your positive! I know how it feels to resent pregnant women and hate the cute little baby clothes that suddenly seem to be everywhere when you're TTC...just enjoy your happiness without guilt. You're still sensitive and caring about others who are having trouble, and now you'll be in the position to be happy for them when they succeed, as well.

So, need any cool baby item links or product reviews? Drop me an e-mail anytime!

 
At 7/29/2006 11:19 AM, Blogger charlotte said...

O HOLY SHIT! I am so excited for y'all. I can't beleive I missed your blog yesterday! I am just all teary and stuff.

Revel in it.

 
At 7/29/2006 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhhh i knew it....

you will be the best mummies....

congratulations ... enjoy it...

Lou n Jen
london, Uk

p.s i know about wanting to kill pg women .. lol.. there was one the otherday.... were not even TTC yet.... just getting to know our donor !.... oh dear !

 
At 7/29/2006 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really relate. I worry that all the people who are still in the trenches are going to hate me. I don't think it's possible to lose the battle scars, though - at least that's what my friends who have kids after infertility say. It changes the way the whole thing feels. I don't hate every pregnant woman I see anymore but I sure gnash my teeth when I see someone on FF gushing about how they weren't planning on getting pregnant and have seven kids already and were breastfeeding and OOPS! Grrr.... It's different, what we went through.
PS - I've been reading your blog on and off but never got around to linking you - I hope it's OK if I do so now.

 
At 7/29/2006 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan and Sasha,
I'm so, so, so, so, very happy for you!!! In the middle of your extreme happiness and elation, could I bother you to e-mail/fax/whatever your legal agreement with your KD? We just had a great friend say "hey, this is something that I would love to do for you, no strings attached..." But, I would feel MUCH better with some legal paperwork. Time is of the essence since I'm ovulating today or tomorrow. We will have to see a lawyer ASAP (after insemination), and I don't really want to wait for a lawyer to re-create the wheel. If we had some idea of your agreement, it would be remarkably convenient. Could I bother you for that? Please call me at 435-840-0361 (cell) or 435-833-9197 (home). You can even call collect. That way, IF YOU'RE COMFORTABLE, we can figure out where to fax the info.....

Again, HUGE congrats to you. It's well deserved and about time!
Kaye (Goober from rainbow conceptions)

 
At 7/29/2006 4:25 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Wow! what a wonderful/ happy/ beuatiful piece of news for you two!
Remember it is normal to be happy and scared and excited and nervous and a whole bunch of conflicting things all at once. Just be good to each other, eat well, take it easy and get ready for a great ride.
Congratulations.

 
At 7/31/2006 5:39 AM, Blogger Tamsin said...

Don't worry, you won't completely lose touch with the trials and tribulations of ttc. If you're anything like me, what I found was that the actual pain of it all disappeared almost immediately (which felt very bizarre, it was such a complete, and unconscious, mind shift). But you don't forget what it was like to go through, and hopefully I haven't made any of those crass remarks to those still ttc. It can be hard to know what to say sometimes though, and I have on occasion felt it better to say nothing rather than appear to be smugly pregnant in any way. It is easy to feel some "pregnancy guilt" as well, especially around those who have also been on a long ttc journey/feel particularly close to you.

Which is precisely why I am so, so happy to have you two and Bri announce your pregnancies, and am still hoping desperately that Sophia, Cali and Jenny all get to join us very soon!

 
At 7/31/2006 6:55 AM, Blogger frog said...

I think it can only bode well that you're referring to him/her as the frog.

Congratulations!

 
At 8/02/2006 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your sensitivity about not losing touch with ttc made my wife cry! that is really noble of you. as someone still in the trenches, i couldn't hate you guys! i am so thrilled for you.

in fact, why don't you mosey on over to my blog and spread some of your baby dust :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home