Friday, July 21, 2006

Ethics and Nursing: The Katrina Arrests

I don't know if anyone has been following the case in New Orleans where a doc and two nurses have been arrested for causing the deaths of four patients during hurricane Katrina. They haven't been officially charged, but they're going to try for second degree murder.

I am just SICK about this.

I'm sick from the perspective of a healthcare provider. I can't imagine having keep a very sick patient going with no idea if help is going to arrive or not. I can see it making sense to decide to make a patient comfortable versus trying to keep them alive in horrendous conditions. Is it unethical to make a decision that will hasten a patient's death? Is it not also unethical to keep them alive when you don't have the resources to treat them at the level they need to be treated? I can see making the decision to walk in the room with morphine and versad.

Here's the reality. With the so-called miracle of modern medicine we are able to keep people alive much longer. We can tweak their systems and keep them going well beyond the point that nature would have taken its course. We rely on our medical systems to do this and when our medical systems break down, decisions have to be made. There is no such thing as a good death in our society. We are so afraid of death that we use all our resources and energy to prevent it at all costs. This means we have some very, very sick people out there who are kept going, who live on a thin line between life and death all the time. These are not healthy people to start with. I highly doubt that any of the patients in this case were healthy.

Then you have to look at it from the perspective of the families. They have had their loved one ripped from them with no input. Maybe they would even make the same decision but it was a situation where they couldn't be consulted. They've been robbed of a dignified death.

Then entire situation is shit. I just don't believe that these women are murderers and that what they did was homicide. This is a case of politicians second guessing the work and decision making of medical professionals.

Discuss if you want. Feel free to disagree with me. I'm very opinionated and I know it!

More reading:

Patient Deaths in New Orleans Bring Arrests - NYT
Louisiana Doctor Said to Have Faced Chaos - NYT
Fury Meets Katrina Hospital Arrests - LAT


6 Comments:

At 7/21/2006 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

without having first-hand knowledge of the situation, i agree with you - these professionals are not murderers.

 
At 7/22/2006 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only hope that such brave individuals would be around to help me if I were a terminal patient with no real hope of survival.

 
At 7/22/2006 3:08 PM, Blogger Solitaire said...

I agree 100%. I think they did a decent and honorable thing, and helped those patients by ending their suffering. It is so sad that they are now being punished for this.

 
At 7/24/2006 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being from New Orleans, I am sickened that charges were brought against the doctor and nurses. Where were the family members during this? THEY ALL LEFT! So how dare they accuse murder of these professionals who stayed during "warlike" conditions. I still don't understand how they could come up with forensic evidence to suggest murder- the bodies were so badly decomposed.

Most New Orleanians are outraged that these three ladies are being charged.


by the way, I love your blog!!!

 
At 7/24/2006 9:18 AM, Blogger Mo said...

I agree with you too. I can't imagine being in such a position and then being expected to perform just like the conitions were "normal". This is a bit different, but our "death with dignity" law is always being challenged here in Oregon, but when it comes down to it, most of the people support it.

 
At 7/25/2006 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well....this is an interesting case...I wouldn't go as far as to call these people (doc and nurses) brave, becuase all they did was make the "best" decision with the situation they were presented... and I am NOT in favour of euthanasia on a regular basis....but to make scapegoats out of them, is truly unfair...for the rest of us who are watching the hurricane tragedy out of the comfort of our own couch, how can we possibly judge these health professionals acting in extreme conditions?...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home