Thursday, July 27, 2006

I am NOT proud to be a Washingtonian today

We're back from our camping trip. It was fun. Beta tomorrow at 9 am. More later.

We were greeted by our state supreme court telling us that the state has the right to deny M. and myself the right to marry. It pretty much denies that we exist as a minority.

The state supreme court said that the state had provided a RATIONAL basis for denying us marriage. Here's the so-called rational basis: furthering procreation and encouraging families in which children are raised in homes headed by the children's biological parents

ummm...FUCK YOU!

This from a court that recently created the status of the NON-BIOLOGICAL defacto parent. This from the state that recently passed a non-discrimination law (okay, it took them thirty years, but they did it).

The biological parent thing really pisses me off. What about adoption? Is that family not encouraged now? And, by the way, queers CAN create families that have biology involved. Has that been forgotten? Does that not count because it doesn't fit into a narrow definition of family? And how is procreation and biological family homes related to my RIGHT...my fucking RIGHT...to be legally connected to my LEGAL wife in my own state?

We are crying. We are sick. We never in a million years expected this ruling. Maybe civil unions but not THIS. I am ashamed of our supreme court today. I'm ashamed of our state. I hear they pay well for nursing in Mass. Maybe it's time for us to get out of dodge.

More info...

NW Women's Law Center Press Release
ACLU Press Release
Seattle PI: FAQ on Ruling
Seattle PI: Washington's Gay Marriage Ban Upheld
No Wedding Bells for State's Gay Couples

12 Comments:

At 7/27/2006 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfucking believable. Are they also planning on outlawing divorce and step-parenting? Seems to follow naturally from that 'logic'...

You're in my thoughts.

S in SC

 
At 7/27/2006 6:25 PM, Blogger starevelina said...

Damn. What a crappy thing to come home to. We follow this stuff pretty closely, and I agree- I was pretty surprised at that coming from WA. And I hate that illogical crap about "procreation"- it's just plain wrong and there is no way to justify it. Under their "logic", my sister and her husband would have their marriage nullified because they aren't able to "procreate", my soon-to-be-wife and I wouldn't be able to protect our family because we both have vaginas, and the kids we hope to be foster parents for soon would never come to a safe home with us, but rather continue to be abused and/or neglected by their "biological parents". Arrrgh! I can't guarantee our right to marry will stay intact here in Massachusetts, but we'd love to have you here in the Happy Valley anyway! And I'm thinking really hard about a happy beta tomorrow! -Kate-

 
At 7/27/2006 7:25 PM, Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

I am sorry to hear about this nonsense. As a Louisiana resident, I have come to expect such close-mindedness. Apparently, it flourishes in other states, too.

Ans S in SC is right... they are essentially shunning adoption and step-parenting, too. It is the intention to whole-heartedly care for a child for 18 years and beyond that makes a parent, to me. And last I checked, marriage was not only about procreation. If I don't manage to conceive, are my husband and I mandated to divorce? It is all such nonsense.

Hoping happiness for you in the future...

 
At 7/27/2006 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How disturbing. It's amazing how we really do take two steps forward and one step back. I'm sorry you came back to such crap news. We're facing a possible setback here too as our prime minister (NO capitals for you harper, you asshole!) has added the issue to the fall agenda and wants to overturn the law.

 
At 7/28/2006 6:06 AM, Blogger Krista said...

Oh I am so sorry. That is devestating news. No one ought to be told that they deserve less than others. I hate the law sometimes (actually I just hate the stupid ass law makers)

 
At 7/28/2006 6:16 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

That is just lousy! I can't believe the logic they use to deny rights. It's so insane.

Keeping my FX for your beta. Hope you get some good news to counter-balance that lousy news.

 
At 7/28/2006 6:32 AM, Blogger party b said...

heard it on npr - how sucky :-(

 
At 7/28/2006 7:10 AM, Blogger b. said...

That just SUCKS. What is it with people? Why must they insist on turning me into a rage-sputtering imbecile? I am too disgusted to even attempt to voice the stupidity that they have displayed.

BUT, here's hoping the beta will hold good news. FX!

 
At 7/28/2006 7:38 AM, Blogger Trista said...

Oh how well I know that sickening feeling of disbelief and rage...

We'll join you in Mass...

I, too, have fingers crossed for your beta.

 
At 7/28/2006 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's plain stupid.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to publicly display how much they don't understand of the world like those guys. It sucks.

Revenge it with a positive beta tomorrow.

Seriously though, good luck tomorrow, whatever the results.

Anneloes
~The Netherlands

 
At 7/28/2006 7:39 AM, Blogger Sacha said...

Hey Anne! If harper actually manages to roll back progress, M. and I could get married a THIRD time.

Co, what you said really moved me. It shows how much alienation THEY create when they insist on such a narrow definition of family. No kid should feel that way.

Brooke - sputter away. I'm busy trying to figure out how to egg the justices houses (no, I wouldn't actually do it, but how I WANT to).

 
At 7/28/2006 8:15 AM, Blogger Married Lesbian Mom said...

God, is Jersey next??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home