Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Amazing Power of Just Asking

I'm still seething about our visit with Dr. Grandpa back in April. Why am I still so angry?
  • Dr. Grandpa sent us into a trauma spiral for a couple weeks where we re-examined our entire TTC process, fought with each other, cried and were generally upset. He stole precious time from us.
  • He was condescending, insulting and not empathetic about our situation. We needed someone who could work with a queer couple. He could not.
  • He told us we were the MOST ANXIOUS AND STRESSED TTC couple he'd ever seen, evidenced by our charting my temps, and that was why we weren't getting pregnant.
  • When we went to see him I had really needed some help from a professional and he hurt us more than helped. We ended up seeing another OBGYN and she actually respected us, our process, our needs and gave us answers.
I had to call the hospital because in the ultimate insult, they are actually CHARGING us to be lectured by Dr. Grandpa, and it appears they haven't bothered to bill my insurance. Then I ask them...is there any thing I can do if I feel that my visit was a waste of time?

Yes! Turns out I can contest the charges.

GLORY GLORY ALLELUIA.

So we're contesting Dr. Grandpa. And it feels damn good. We do have some say in this situation and all it took was me asking the right questions. Even if they end up charging us, at least it's not without a fight.

5 Comments:

At 7/19/2006 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. I'm all for taking professionals to task for their misbehavior.

Keep us posted.

 
At 7/19/2006 1:11 PM, Blogger Mo said...

I agree! How does he expect lesbians to get pregnant without charting and such? But I guess that was part of his problem, he didn't get that. Glad you are contesting this.

 
At 7/19/2006 3:52 PM, Blogger tammy said...

yeah for you! good for you for standing up to poor irresponsible treatment. i was upset with my REs office at the end of the year after continually not having lab orders sent out, getting told odd things about the billing (no 'cash discount' because i used an FSA - isn't tax planning a smart thing?). ... sorry... any i wrote a very business-like letter to him and ended up giving it to him on the day his staff had AGAIN misinformed me about my options. i couldn't go ahead with the cycle and when i got back from vacation and went in for my day 3 u/s the place was entirely different. nothing was said about it but i got receipts without asking for them, the doctor scheduled my appointments himself, and the lab orders were there from then on. i'm sooooo glad i spoke up.

i certainly hope your results are just as positive and they don't press charging you for no work done. good luck!

 
At 7/20/2006 3:45 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

hurrah!!!!!
He needs a wake up call & this could be the trick.

 
At 7/20/2006 6:34 PM, Blogger Lollipop Goldstein said...

Want me to swing by Dr. Grandpa's office and introduce myself? Because I could show him someone truly truly truly anxious :-)

Sorry about your experience.

Whatever happened to "first, do no harm" and the rest of the Hippocratic Oath?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home