Friday, July 07, 2006

We LOVE Our Doc!

We've gone to an OBGYN, we suffered through being lectured by Dr. Grandpa, we have lied to the fertility clinic and faced even more lying if we want access to having an IUI seven days a week, we have had our ability to manage our own risk questioned, we have faced a limited schedule for IUI because we want our TTC journey to be one of honesty.

Because we are using a known donor we constantly face limited choices and difficult decisions.

We went to see our family practice doc today, the one we've been seeing for seven years. She wanted to talk to us before giving us a prescription for Clomid. She also encouraged us to try IUI and we told her how difficult it's been. Then she says...

"Well, I can do it here."

After all we've been through, our doctor just blurts out that she'd be willing to do the IUI and will write the order so we can have DtD's semen washed. AND...she'll show M. how to do it so we can do IUI over the weekends. She'll give us a speculum and the IUI catheters. No additional STD testing. No additional questions. No harassment over using a known donor. No signing of liablity waivers.

She and the other docs had JUST noticed a whole drawer full of IUI catheters sitting around the office. Then we walk in...hmmmmmmm....

Did I mention that we LOVE our doc.

I swear, you get what you need in life but sometimes it takes some time and then you find things in the most unexpected places. Our doc is family practice and happens to deliver babies. We never thought she would do IUI, and she doesn't normally. But she's struggled with infertility herself, she's watched us go through our own TTC journey and she understands that much of what we're facing is rooted in homophobia. Finally we both felt supported and understood.

I cried when we left. For the first time in a long time I felt all this tension leave my body, and the first time in a week I cried because I'm happy.

16 Comments:

At 7/07/2006 2:04 PM, Blogger Tamsin said...

Oh wow! You posted at the same time I was commenting on the last post ;o)
I'm so pleased for you, this is just the most fabulous news, and even better that you & Megan could do home IUIs when needed.

Fab, fab, fab!

 
At 7/07/2006 2:25 PM, Blogger M. said...

Hooray for docs who GET it! I'm so glad for you both.

 
At 7/07/2006 3:53 PM, Blogger Lo said...

Wow....that's amazing. You completely deserve that kind of a break. And stories like that restore my faith in the medical profession. yay!

 
At 7/07/2006 3:57 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Wow! That is fantastic news!!! I'm loving your doc right now too! I would've been fighting back the tears right there in her office...

 
At 7/07/2006 5:15 PM, Blogger EJW said...

That is fantastic news. I loved our RE nurse practitioner, and she was the second person I told I was pregnant. I figured she was just as integral as my husband, so she found out before our families or friends.

It's wonderful when you find a clinician that really understands and finds way to work the system for you. I hope this does the trick for you.

I also wanted to say that it took us fifteen months and ten cycles and three rounds of Clomid, so I know how frustrated and angry and sad you are, and that I can't imagine doing all this with the added stress of living an "alternative lifestyle" and throwing politics into the mix. You will come out stronger for it, and I'll be so thrilled for you both when it does happen.

 
At 7/07/2006 6:26 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

woo hoo! Wow. that is some kind of wonderful news.

been loving the q&a, by the way!

 
At 7/07/2006 9:54 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

Fucking Awesome! I'm so happy for you.

I would be scared to do IUI's at home though! Make sure you check into the details of sterility and if there is any possibility of damaging the cervix if one bumbles around in there :)

I love it when a doctor actually advocated FOR you.

 
At 7/07/2006 10:23 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

Charlotte - I'm not too worried about doing home IUIs. We'll use sterile technique (gloves, establish a sterile field, etc...) and our friend Jessica has agreed that she'll do the IUI if M. doesn't feel comfortable. Jess is an RN and used to work in a womens clinic. (How many people does it take to make a queer baby...we're up to four now!)

Hey, I stick tiny catheters into tiny veins all the time. The way I see it, we should be able to get a catheter into my uterus.

 
At 7/08/2006 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is totally awesome. Sometimes things just fall into place so nicely.

Yay!!!

 
At 7/08/2006 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful! Will you use the clomid with the IUI or try IUI on its own for a bit? Just curious.

Hugs and BFP wishes,
Anne

 
At 7/08/2006 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the most awesome post ever.

!!!!!

Jude
http://judecorp.livejournal.com

 
At 7/08/2006 9:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's fucking awesome! So glad to hear you guys are finally getting some kind of brek.

 
At 7/09/2006 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fate blows my mind! What a huge huge huge step forward....

 
At 7/09/2006 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thank goodness!! What a gift this doc is for you guys, I'm so happy!!!

 
At 7/10/2006 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is WONDERFUL! So glad your doc can help you two out. It's funny how things work out...

 
At 7/10/2006 7:39 AM, Blogger Trista said...

YAY!! that is great news. The best news I've heard in a long time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home