Thursday, July 06, 2006

Q&A Redux Part III

From Tamsin (congratulations, by the way, both M. and I are so, so, so thrilled for you!)

How did you & M. first get to know DtD?

DtD comes to us through me. We've been friends for about three years now. This is one of the challenges of a known donor. They usually come through one person in the relationship or the other, so there is often an inequality in who is closer to the donor. M. and I have been working to close that gap between her and DtD, and it's getting smaller and smaller. That is one of the huge benefits of Taking Some Time to Get Pregnant.

How did you go about asking him to be your donor?

Ha ha ha! It was a rather funny experience, a comedy of errors. We decided we wanted him to be our donor, and it was left up to me to ask him because he's my friend. Let's just say that I think our boy and myself are two of the world's most introverted, closed off people ever created. Not masters at the art of verbal communication AT ALL. I can't remember how long it took me but I spent a lot of time hanging out with him talking about anything but being our donor. Standing in his driveway with him talking about laundry and dry wall. Calling him and spending an hour on the phone talking about NOTHING. Finally at the end of one of those long conversations (on the phone) I blurted out that I had something to ask him followed by an explanation of how crazy I can be sometimes. Then I told him that M. and I want to have kids, we'd like to use a known donor and we were wondering if he'd consider helping us. He initially said 'the answer is 'yes' but I have to talk to BF.' We had a final 'yes' about a week later. I'll always love him for getting back to us so quickly. He's been our go-to-guy from the start.

What degree of contact do you all plan to have once your baby/ies are here?

He has agreed to stay involved in the kid(s) life. Our plan is for him to fill an uncle role. He and BF really are good friends to us, we all live nearby and see each other often outside the insem cycles, so there's no reason we won't continue to be close in that manner. M. and I have agreed that in the least we will provide an annual update if for some reason we decided to withdrawl contact or things happen that cause DtD to leave the area. There's no way to know how this relationship is going to work out but I would like to see him and BF be a strong outside support for our entire family.

What is your favorite thing to eat at the moment?

Hmmmmm...I've been eating a lot of hummus and celery. M. and I just made a really really good blueberry pie for the 4th. I think the best thing I ate recently was a plate of veggies (yellow and orange bell pepper, par boiled carrots, green beans, cauliflower, roasted potatoes) and hard boiled eggs with a homemade garlic aoli. It was REALLY yummy!




More questions? Post them here.

1 Comments:

At 7/07/2006 2:09 PM, Blogger Tamsin said...

That is so funny about how you actually asked DtD - I can see myself doing exactly the same kind of thing!
Thanks for all the answers - very interesting reading, especially as someone who was too worried about the impact of using known donor for us to have gone down that route (although we didn't have any really good friends to ask - our potentials were all more distant/unknown quantities).
Mmmm to the veggie/aioli plate :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home