Thursday, July 06, 2006

How does Family Figure?

A little break from answering questions...

One positive about Taking Some Time to Get Pregant is that I've started opening up to my mother about our process and our pain. And this is what I found out.

It took my mother a YEAR to get pregnant with me, and she'd almost given up. My brother arrived 3.5 years after I was born and my parents weren't using birth control that entire time.

M. says that THEY (the ubiquituous THEY) say your mother's fertility has no impact on your own. Yet I see people around me who seem to have fertility as a family trait. Is difficulty getting pregnant something in MY family? In a way it made me feel better to hear my mother's story. At the same time, she was 25 when she started trying. I'm ten years older. It's so hard to know what to hold onto and what to throw away.

We see Dr. G. about the C word tomorrow. All my thrombophelia studies came back negative. We have DtD's paperwork in hand. We should be in the right place to do at least an unmedicated IUI next cycle as long as the timing works out.

Now all we need is a clown. Maybe my mom just never had a clown.

4 Comments:

At 7/07/2006 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that stuff about fertility problems not being genetic and I just don't buy it. How can they NOT be at least related to genetics? My mom got pg super crazy easy, so did my gramma (all three of her kids were unplanned, and all three were conceived after age 36). I did to, I just had bad luck and now I have scars in my tubes.

Maybe I'll spend some time with my friend medline and see if there are any actual studies about this. If I find anything, I'll write a blog entry about it rather than hyjack your comments.

 
At 7/07/2006 2:02 PM, Blogger Tamsin said...

I think that there must be some connection too. Whilst we were ttc, my mother kept on telling me how she had always struggled to get pregnant (apart from with my brother, who she conceived while breastfeeding me). Apparently it took over a year to get pregnant with me, and well over 2 years to conceive my youngest sister.
On the other hand, my middle sister has always managed to get pregnant very easily (she felt that 4 months was a long time for my nephew; her 4th pregnancy), but then she has a harder time staying pregnant (2 out of 4 ended in miscarriage, both at 12 weeks).
It sucks when it takes a long time to work (especially as it must be so frustrating when nothing is "wrong"), but I think that in many ways it must be worse to get pregnant easily but to have miscarriages/ectopics.

Good luck with the consultation; it's great that the clotting results came back all clear so that you can go ahead for the IUI. Hope the timing works out!

 
At 7/09/2006 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anecdotally, my experience agrees. My mother and i have both conceived fairly easily (of course i figure the added issue of using a frozen donor plus being 10 years older than my mother when i started trying does change the variables quite a bit) but we both had difficult STAYING pregnant. I have no sisters. My sister-in-law (brother's wife) also gets pg very easily (has 5 kids) but has had several m/c in between. I can't help but think there's SOMETHING familial going on...but as for the "big studies"? who knows...really, what difference does it make? Statistics don't apply to individuals.

 
At 7/10/2006 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not me. My mom always told me how scarily easy it was to become pregnant with me (at 30) and my brother (at 33). She'd go off the Pill and be pregnant the next month. I always assumed it would be that easy for me. After seven straight months of BFNs, I'm revising my expectations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home