Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Crafty Girls

The yarn we picked out for the baby blanket I'm knitting


M. and I have decided that we're going to break the grip of the ridiculously overpriced crib set. You know what I mean. The one that's sticky sweet, super fluffy and hundreds of dollars.

Her new sewing machine arrives this week. We've found a pattern and started looking for fabric we like. M.'s aunt is going to make the quilt. We're making the box pleat bead skirt, diaper holder and not-to-be-used bumper. The nursery will be green, girl or boy, so we can pick out the coolest, hippest fabric we can find.

And I'm knitting a blanket. It's knit using a double strand, one light green, one darker green (see above), and I'm using washable wool. Yay! I should have enough left over for a hat.

It's nice to make things for Cletus the Fetus (our latest in-utero name). It's distracting, gives me something to do during my hours of lying quesily on the couch, and we can get what we want for a reasonable price.

But the crib set will not be the first project M. does on her new sewing machine. She's going to make me MATERNITY SCRUBS.

He he, we are so crafty.

8 Comments:

At 9/26/2006 1:18 PM, Blogger Trista said...

My mom sewed us our crib set and it was beautiful! Yellow and pale green with bright orange accents. She even sewed us matching sheets with sea creatures on them. We got bumpers (which we use) a box pleated dust ruffle, a diaper stacker, a cushion for our rocking chair, and two organizers that attach to the changing table. I think we paid something like $60 for the fabric and my mom threw in the bumper pads and the batting and notions and stuff. She also made us 2 quilts with the fabric scaps. It's gender neutral, perfectly matches the murals in the room, is high quality, and one-of-a-kind. If you go to my August 2005 archives you can see pictures.

I think it's awesome that you're going to be making your own crib set. It's truly a labor of love.

 
At 9/26/2006 2:40 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

You are crafty! I can't sew and neither can my mother. Thank God for stores! ;)

Our baby room is green too! :)

 
At 9/26/2006 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! I am very impressed at your craftiness.

 
At 9/26/2006 4:25 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

You are super duper crafty! And just so you know I do not know a single mom who uses a diaper holder. If they have one it is in the closet crammed with junk.

 
At 9/27/2006 7:31 AM, Blogger Trista said...

We use our diaper holder! We love it because we buy diapers in bulk from costco and then we can fill up the diaper holder and hide the ugly box...

 
At 9/28/2006 12:14 PM, Blogger Wendy and Karen said...

Beautiful yarn for your baby blanket. Congratulations on 13 weeks!

 
At 9/28/2006 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Your crib set will be so much prettier and more special.

I am ROFLMAO at "Cletus"!

 
At 10/02/2006 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long time lurker here.

First, congratulations!

Second, Cletus the Fetus is an excellent in-utero name. I used it myself 5 years ago - lots of good luck came my way. Cletus (now Charlotte) is a funny, bright, stubborn, perfect 5 year old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home