Wednesday, April 25, 2007

DtD and Gas

DtD

Some have asked how DtD is doing with the arrival of Finn. So far things are good. He hasn't been by to see Finn yet, but he's seen pictures, we've talked on the phone and he's entirely appropriate. I think he and BF will try to come by this weekend. He wanted to let me get over my pneumonia before he came by.

We'll see how the IRL visit goes. Both M. and I are really excited for him to meet Finn.

Gas!

M. and I have been going to a drop in group for parents of babies zero to twelve weeks. It's the absolutely BEST thing we've done so far in getting support and learning how to become new parents. There are a lot of different age ranges, so parents get to share what has and hasn't worked for them.

What we learned this week is about gas! Yes, the exciting world of burping, farting and pooping.

Finn has been Fussy Finn for the last four nights or so. We just couldn't figure out what was going on. Well, we think it's gas. He gets grunty and starts arching his back, and just won't settle down. Since we learned how to help a baby poop and about burping, I spent a long time after his 9 pm feed last night just getting him to burp and fart. And you know what...he slept FOUR hours after that. Then around 5 am he started grunting and arching his back. M. woke up and sat him upright, and Mister had a nice big stool then settled back down.

It's really exciting to start figuring things out.

Of course then Finn decided it was awake time, so instead of getting back to bed, I'm up with little Mr. Awake. And, because I actually got FOUR hours in a row, which my body has decided is just as good as eight, or ten hours, I'm wide awake too. The bright spot? Well, his morning feed will be his bottle feed, so I can lie back down and zone.

Pictures



5 Comments:

At 4/25/2007 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, the second picture is like "Who are the women?!? Get me out of here!!" j/k

 
At 4/25/2007 12:18 PM, Blogger S&C said...

Great pics!!!! Thanks for sharing :-)

 
At 4/25/2007 1:19 PM, Blogger EJW said...

When our son was about Finn's age, he had awful, painful gas after just about every feeding.

It was such a stressor, as I would feed him on one side, then he'd start screaming and we'd do bicycle legs and push his legs to his chest until he'd farted sufficiently, then a diaper change, and I'd feed him on the other side to get him back to sleep.

It wasn't bad during the day, but at night, when you just want to get him fed and back down, it was terrible.

Fortunately, he grew out of it fairly quickly. I remember the ped saying something about "they have to learn to ignore all their internal workings" which seemed like a very odd sensation. But in just a few weeks, it was over.

 
At 4/25/2007 5:00 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Love the last pic! So cute!

Oh yeah, the joys of gas! That stage will pass, don't you worry! I remember some "fun" evenings with Riley. Sometimes we would even resort to Gripe Water (you can buy natural versions at the natural food store). Some of Riley's favourite gas-relieving techniques included laying tummy down on my knee or arm (sometimes walking around the house like that), changing position a lot seemed to help the gas move out and doing a kind of rocking chair motion on the knee. She is so much better now and no longer fusses at night or complains when she has gas. She's not a big burper though--more of a tooter. Hehehe.

So glad that things have been good with DtD. :)

 
At 4/26/2007 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'all have some great pics -
I have enjoyed your journey (went back and read) -
I will conitnue to follow -
welcome to mommyhood!!
There are no greater joys or sorrows - relief or fear -

 

Post a Comment

<< Home