Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Rebel, Rebel You Tore Your Dress

M.'s twin niece and nephew were visiting for Finn's adoption. They're almost ten years old and it's interesting to watch them grow up.

One thing that struck me during this visit is that it's clear that my SIL doesn't want her kids to grow up. Instead of being guided toward independence, they are being indoctrinated with all kinds of things that my SIL doesn't want them to do. One thing is tattooes. My SIL hates tattooes and she's drilled it into the kids heads that tatooes are not only gross but somehow immoral.

I think she's giving them a really easy way to rebel against her.

Of course this makes me think about Finn. I think parenting is all about joy and loss. The moment your child enters into this world, you start the process of working toward them leaving you. And for me, part of leaving me is Finn starting to make his own decisions, even if they aren't ones I would make. This means I can't look at parenting as molding Finn into the image I want him to be but letting be who he is.

Really, all I want is for him to be a good person, be healthy and make mostly responsible decisions. I don't care what color his hair is, or what parts of his body he pierces, or if he has a tattoo. Those seem like such trivial concerns next to him having empathy and kindness.

Well, I do want him to have good table manners. Imagine, pink hair, piercings but asks to be excused after dinner. That sounds perfectly nice to me.

9 Comments:

At 8/07/2007 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture! I completely agree with you. Manners are more important than appearance.

 
At 8/07/2007 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it- I have the same vision for me (yet to happen) kid. I could give a crap how s/he elects to express themselves - but if they move about the planet with kindness and love I will be thrilled.
some of the most wonderful & moral people I know have bitchin' tattoos!

xo

 
At 8/07/2007 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manners! Yes. I don't care about the hair, piercings, or the tattoos. Even how smart my child is seems insignificant sometimes. But I want future child to be confident and kind in the world. I will get over just about anything else . . .

 
At 8/07/2007 6:18 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

I agree. And manners are good. So many people out there don't have any manners whatsoever.

 
At 8/07/2007 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Course, there is the other argument: you give your kid something benign to rebel about, maybe they won't have to do really bad things (like make meth in your basement, sell it on the street, get a girl knocked up at 15, etc).

Maybe we are almost "obligated" to pretend to care about the pink hair and tatoos to prevent the kid from going and doing something really bad.

Maybe i'm whacked...i have no idea. I'm not much further along in this thing than you guys are...

 
At 8/08/2007 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're your niece and nephew too!!

 
At 8/08/2007 3:08 PM, Blogger Briar said...

Absolutely. I insist on a respectful child. But I don't care what color his hair is. We helped GMB dye his hair blue when he was 13 or so. Then we flew on JetBlue and he was the hit of the plane. Anyway, he never asked to do it again. I think the secret is being overly involved in their possible rebellions. Takes away all their fun. Heh.

 
At 8/08/2007 6:27 PM, Blogger Amy said...

very well said!

 
At 8/11/2007 5:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments!! I would much rather have a well-behaved child grow into a responsible adult, than have the angelic looking drug addict... Hair grows, and tattoos can be covered or removed (or proudly shown off...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home