Wednesday, April 02, 2008

One Year Later...

Finn is one.

I can't believe it. I swear this year was warp speed. I can't believe we have a toddler. I can't believe I've been back at work for eight months. I can't believe we survived.

Finn is such a great kid. He's sweet and very generous. He loves people and I don't worry for a moment about socializing him. He's happy. He has a fantastic sense of humor. I love to hang out with him.

He's still an intense and challenging child. He needs so much of us and we work hard to give it. I'm glad that he doesn't need as much as he did when he was born because he is exhausting. Sometimes I worry that he needs so much that a sibling will be a disaster for our sweet little boy. We now see the world through his lens, filtering everything we do through how it may affect our fantastic little boy.

M. and I have found our new normal. Our new life as parents has a million and one limitations but we have stopped mourning what we used to have and adjusted to our new reality. We've found new ways to function and cope. And for all the limitations, our new life has one important thing that our old one didn't - our son.

I will never love another child like I love Finn. He is our first and I am so glad it was HIM who was born 365 days ago, him who came screaming out of my abdomen, him who pushed both M. and myself to our very limits in our efforts to get him out in the way we wanted. I am so glad he's here.

And now our first born son is running around the house with his bits dangling and his bum cold. He's tired and night is coming. Maybe tonight I'll get a couple hours of not being a parent and maybe not. No matter what, it's been a good day and I'm excited about what's to come in our next year.

9 Comments:

At 4/02/2008 7:43 PM, Blogger *G* said...

Happy Birthday, Finn! And congrats, Moms, on a job well done!

 
At 4/02/2008 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, little Finn, Happy birthday! I was one of the many many MANY people, sitting at their computer, hitting the "refresh" key- waiting for the blog that said "he's here!!!". It was as much fun as a scavenger hunt!!!

 
At 4/03/2008 5:38 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

What do yo mean by him needing you so much? Just wondering because at this age, I'm pretty sure most kids need their parents a lot. I always have Riley with me in the house and she hates if I leave the room she's in and she's not allowed to come (i.e. baby gate). And I constantly have to watch her because she's so busy busy busy. I think I rarely have 'free time' and usually it's interrupted by cries from her crib at some point in the early evening.

So yeah...just wondering what you mean by that and if he really needs you more than toddlers need their moms. :)

 
At 4/03/2008 6:59 AM, Blogger andrĂ©e said...

happy birthday, intense and wonderful kid! ours is also intense and wonderful... we are trying to give her some space to be intense on her own, but it's not always easy. i bet you guys have come through a difficult few months with separation anxiety and so on... and i bet going to work is sometimes like a respite for you.

 
At 4/03/2008 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By needing I mean that he takes all our emotional and sometimes physical energy. Actually Finn has never had a lot of seperation anxiety. Usually in the morning he wants to be held and hang out, but then in the afternoon he's off exploring the house.

Finn certainly isn't needy but we are his center and the people who are helping him develop and navigate through the world. He needs us in that way, to provide guidance and support, to help him work through his feelings, to slowly inch him toward being able to fall asleep on his own, to help him in tiny, incremental steps toward independence. And because neither M. or myself are willing to parent him in a way that pushes him and we are strongly dedicated to him taking things as his own pace, I feel a heavy burden at times. That's what I mean by needing us.

I hope that explains things.

 
At 4/03/2008 10:52 AM, Blogger jessie said...

Happy Birthday, Finn!!

 
At 4/03/2008 3:14 PM, Blogger Lo said...

Yay, Finn! and Yay, mommies!

 
At 4/03/2008 9:59 PM, Blogger art-sweet said...

Happy Birthday, Finn!

It just gets more fun (with a hefty dash of challenging) from here on.

 
At 4/04/2008 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Mr. Finn!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home