Friday, May 09, 2008

Foody Baby

M. is annoyed at me.

She's annoyed because our boy has a taste for the good stuff. He loves curry and homemade pasta with cheese and Parmesan reggiano and veggie shepherds pie with lentils. He scarfs down guacamole and zucchini coins sauteed in butter with fresh herbs and feta.

He loves food.

M. is annoyed at me because Finn HATES boring food. He will not eat pretty much any of the traditional toddler foods. Peas? Nope. Beans? Turns his nose up. Chicken? Only if it has some sort of tasty seasoning. Avocado? Uh uh.

We have FOODY BABY. And it's all my fault. One of my biggest dreams before we actually had a family was being able to feed them good food. No box mac and cheese - only my favorite Beecher's Flagship cheese grated into a bechamel sauce and poured over whole wheat noodles. Handmade breads. Scratch cakes. Food so good that our children would forever have an imprint on their taste buds of their mothers' cooking.

A wonderful dream but an impractical reality. Because sometimes it would be nice to just give Finn some easy peas or beans on his plate and call it a day. It's not that way and M. and I are really glad that our boy has such a diverse palate, but it definately has it's down side.

3 Comments:

At 5/10/2008 5:40 PM, Blogger Amy Duncan said...

sloane's the same way! i actually have to stir tabasco sauce into her food if it is too plain. :)

 
At 5/14/2008 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always hated how many parents go to lengths to prepare lovely food for themselves and then give their children bland, processed crap. Many kudos for rising above that and introducing F to REAL food. Really good food.

I'd kill for some of that pasta right now!

 
At 5/14/2008 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gabriel's doing the same thing. It's all his Baba's fault. She loves to cook and was determined he would develop a taste for a variety of foods. I think his first food was a sweet potato/cinnamon mixture. We did try some jarred baby food, but he instantly made a face and spit it out. At that point, Ty tasted it and agreed that it was nasty, telling him 'I wouldn't eat it either!' At the same time, I do wish he's let us use the occasional jarred food. I'm not as good as baba in the cooking department.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home