Friday, December 23, 2005

One of our Stories

I'm feeling melacholy. Prob because I'm back to work tomorrow and not entirely recovered. So here is one of our stories.

M. and I met in college and we were friends before we got together. She was (is) my first and only love. We went through this period where we were living together, sleeping together but I had this insane idea that somehow we could find husbands and get married and live next to each other.

M. knew diff and it caused a lot of long conversations and crying, not a very good memory, and I hate how much my stupidity hurt her. This is why I don't like to share this story with people.

We were living in Eastern Washington and it was summer. Effing 108 degrees during the day and it never cooled down at night. We would get in my car drive out of the city where the air ws cooler. One of those nights we were having the same conversation, how I was going to leave her, and I had this MOMENT. I realized that I either had to stay with M. or lose her forever. I couldn't have this half-baked, half assed compromise I'd come up with in my mind that would allow me to keep her but keep me from having to be GAY. So I said...

"I guess I'll stay with you then."

For me that was it. I was never going to let her go. But she didn't quite get the significance of my statement. The next day M. drove back to the Seattle area and I called her and said....

"Maybe in a few years we can have some sort of ceremony."

Then she got it.

We were married in our church in 1999 and in B.C. in 2004, but I consider that the moment that I proposed.

Fin.

2 Comments:

At 12/24/2005 6:07 AM, Blogger b. said...

Beautiful. Okay, the part where there was pain, perhaps not so much. But it's a part of the history that makes you as a couple who you are & so I think it's still important. Sarah is my one & only as well, and while we've certainly had our low points, I can't imagine life without her. I just love happy endings, don't you?

 
At 12/27/2005 9:36 AM, Blogger Trista said...

I think that's a beautiful story. The moment of realization. The moment of completeness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home