Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Vegetarianism and Pregnancy

I've been contemplating going vegetarian for a while now. It all started because of a cookbook. I picked up Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone at Costco because I wanted to find a way to incoporate more veggies into our diet. I figured I'd get some good side dishes. I never expected it to completely change the way I eat, but it did. I don't think I'm entirely ready for the leap. I like turkey at Thanksgiving. We eat a meat dish about once a week at the moment. But I'm consciously making more vegetarian choices on a daily basis.

So, I'd like to get through my future pregnancy and maintain my mostly vegetarian diet. I've made an agreement with M. that I'll eat fish once a week. Other than that, I'm going to stick with what's working for me right now. I'm a good cook and have accomplished combining foods so we're getting our complete proteins on a regular basis. With some careful planning, I know we can make this work. Ultimately I feel a mostly vegetarian diet is the best thing for my health and my baby's health.

Here are some resources I've found, all legitimate sites:

Vegetarian Diets During Pregnancy
Vegetarian Nutrition Resource List
Vegetarian Diets During Pregnancy, Lactation and Infancy
The Vegetarian Society - Preganancy Information Sheet

1 Comments:

At 12/22/2005 3:48 AM, Blogger b. said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the great Veg links! I'm already a vegetarian, but know I'm going to need to be more conscious about how I eat when the time comes. Of course, being a picky eater adds a whole new element to the whole vegetarian thing. *rolls eyes* Hopefully pregnancy will force me to be somewhat more focused on what I'm putting in my mouth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home