Sunday, January 01, 2006

15 Things about Me and Books

Stolen from the most wonderous Trista.
  1. I don't read enough anymore.
  2. I grew up around books. My mother was an English teacher and so was her mother.
  3. I started reading at three or four years old.
  4. When I was in second grade I transferred from private to public school halfway through the year. By the end of the year I'd out-read every kid in my classroom. I got an award, homemade brownies and a green sparkly ball.
  5. In elementary school THEY allowed me to check out books from the big kids' section when all my other classmates were still reading picture books.
  6. I read Clan of the Cavebear in third grade. I still don't know why.
  7. In fifth grade I had my books taken away because I was reading through class and not doing my schoolwork.
  8. I'm convinced I ruined my eyes by reading under the covers for hours with a flashlight.
  9. One time I finished a book (Fall on your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald, long before it became an Oprah book club selection) while driving across the 520 bridge in commuter traffic. I cried the entire way home.
  10. I'm amazed when people don't have bookcases full of books. What's wrong with them?
  11. I can give away books but I can't sell them. It feels tawdry, like a betray of the time we've spent together.
  12. The innocence of youth: I read To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf and Les Miserables by Victor Hugo when I was in high school.
  13. I don't read books I loved as a kid because I'm always disappointed in them. They're never as wonderful as I remember so I let them live in my memory. Except for Watership Down. That book never fails me.
  14. I convinced my entire family (we're a small family) to read scenes from Macbeth last Christmas.
  15. My love of reading culminated in a BA in English, the second most useless degree, next to philosophy, when it comes to getting a job.

4 Comments:

At 1/01/2006 8:28 AM, Blogger b. said...

Oh #15 is so, so true. All useless English degrees unite! Sadly, not sure what else I'd be good at :)

 
At 1/01/2006 8:49 AM, Blogger Sacha said...

English majors are good at EVERYTHING. We can communicate, write complete sentences, think critically....

 
At 1/01/2006 9:24 AM, Blogger b. said...

Well, that's putting a positive spin on it...

 
At 1/03/2006 7:42 AM, Blogger Trista said...

Hmmm, I don't know about the second most useless degree. I think Anthropology is the second most useless degree (I agree with you about philosophy) leaving English a distant third...

Great things! Thanks for the compliment. I want the squash lasagne recipe, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home