Saturday, February 25, 2006

Latching onto Oppression

We're sitting at one of our fave breakfast spots (while most may go out for dinner, we go out for brekkie because I'm usually pooped by 10:00) and a woman walks in with her baby all firmly tucked into her Cadillac of strollers (my nickname for those horrid plastic contraptions with cup holders everyone wheels around) and proceeds to ask the girl at the counter if it might be okay if she breastfeeds her baby.

I have not seen a lot of women breastfeeding in public. And when I have, I've never seen one just whip her top off and latch that baby on while everything hangs out. There is always a certain level of discreetness. Probably much more discreet than I am at Old Navy when I don't want to fight my way across the store just to try on a t-shirt so I pull it on under my shirt which never goes exactly the way I expect and I always end up showing a bit more skin than I had wanted to. And certainly more discreet than the man-boobies (thank you DtD for the term) that I see shoved in my face whenver the temp goes above 65 degrees in Seattle.

So this woman was not asking if the restaurant would be okay if she exposed her self. She was asking for permission to feed her child. It wasn't the booby that might cause the problem, it was the act of breastfeeding.

M. and I have been talking about oppression lately (one of the many reasons I love her, after thirteen years we can still have a rousing coversation about oppression). She has been talking a lot about the subversive oppression that women face in society and how she feels (and I agree) that her internalized sexism is much worse and more influential than any oppression she faces as a lesbian.

The woman in the restaurant, who was not young (prob about forty), was furthering that oppression by timidly asking if it might okay for her to feed her child. She is a white, middle class woman who lives in an urban environment and has countless resources available to her about the benefits of breastfeeding. Yet she has shame about something that is done openly and naturally by women in third world countries all around the world. She has shame because our society has told her that her body is something offensive to other people and that the act of merely feeding your infant is frowned upon.

This isn't just oppressing women for doing something absolutely natural. Ultimately it hurts the children. If a woman can breastfeed, she should, and she should do it wherever and whenever she needs to.

7 Comments:

At 2/25/2006 11:24 AM, Blogger Sabrina said...

OOh.. fellow blogger passing through and I must say BRAVO on this post! With my DD I was always pushed towards shame in my choice to breastfeed... it was something done in bathrooms or away from people completely. An isolating, shameful experience. Sure, friends and family understood when I needed to leave to feed my daughter, but they would be HORRIFIED if I sat there and continued the conversation while she ate. It was never said, but it sure was implied that that was something done in private. Like pooping.
This time, when DS finally gets here... I will be changing my tune. I will be getting over any embarassment I may have and will proudly feed my child wherever he gets hungry.. .and if that is in the middle of a coffee shop... I DARE anyone to say anything to me. I will NOT ask permission, I will NOT go to the bathroom... I WILL feed my child and use my breasts fot their intended purpose. Have a problem with that? Bring it on. I plan to teach my children about how natural breastfeeding is.. when we see a mom in the mall feeding her child, I will NOT distract them to look elsewhere, but will be pointing that mom out.. ( Look kids, see that Mommie feeding her baby? Isn't that a sweet baby?!) and move on... the most natural act in the world.

 
At 2/25/2006 12:47 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I remember talking Alexander to a restaurant in a mall when he was about 2 months old. A friend and I were going for brunch with Alexander in the stroller and the hostess said we couldn't bring the stroller in the restaurant, but that we could sit out in the patio section. I then told her I wanted a table for 4 even though there were only two of us so I could have some extra room to nurse the baby since he was hungry too.

It was amazing how fast they found a way to get that stroller inside the restaurant and us tucked into a booth at the back.

Another time I was feeding Lauren in a restaurant and the people at the booth behind me were talking about it. The woman couldn't believe that I was nursing her there at the table. The man said, what's the big deal, the baby has to eat. Quite amazing really that he understood but she didn't have a clue.....

 
At 2/25/2006 12:50 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

I agree with everything you said. I actually take a kind of fuck you attitude about breastfeeding LM in public, probably because I am reacting to my own internalized sexism and saying FUCK THAT.

I take great pride in breastfeeding him EVERYWHERE and ANYWHERE, if he needs food...this includes International Customs line in Mexico, churches, the DMV, a wedding, in court, restaurants, the list goes on.

 
At 2/25/2006 4:23 PM, Blogger Elowyn said...

Preach it, sista! Seriously. It's food. If I'd feel comfortable with my child eating a graham cracker in whatever scenario, then by all means he/she ought to be able to nurse in the same scenario.

Hurrah for lactivism!

 
At 2/25/2006 7:27 PM, Blogger Smithie said...

Maybe that mom had had an encounter with the two intoxicated women who SWORE at me for nursing at 13 Coins (an Italian restaurant in Seattle). I complained to the manager and left.

I have found it a little bit awkward to nurse is a few of the places I frequent, but I try to power through it because there's no other way that those places will become 100% nursing-friendly. Now that I'm expecting a daughter, I think I'll be even more militant about it, because I'd like to create a world where she never even THINKS about not nursing in public.

 
At 2/25/2006 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVe this entry! I have breastfed all 4 of my boys, and started out feeling "ashamed". I have now blossomed into a 35 year old woman, who will feed anywhere and anytime my son is hungry. Great entry!

 
At 2/27/2006 7:57 AM, Blogger Trista said...

Hey look! There's another Trista around. I read her comment and I felt a little discombobulated. Like I had another life where I had 4 sons.

Welcome to Babycakes, Other Trista!

Other than that, I don't really have anything to add here since I don't breastfeed and Kristin didn't breastfeed very long. But my mom and all of my aunts breastfed and they did it in public (with a blanket) and that was Utah in the 70's and 80's. Of course Utah is the land of the many children, so I guess that shouldn't be surprising...

I guess it's different other places.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home