Sunday, February 26, 2006

New Pics: Graveyards

When I was a kid there was amazing lore around Indian graveyards. You DID NOT go in them. You looked at them from afar with a healthy respect for what would befall you if you trespassed onto that land.

Well, M. and I went to an Indian graveyard yesterday with our camera.

I have a thing about cemeteries. They are an amazing reflection of the community they spring from. They tell tales of long lives and very short. They carry the pain of loss and sorrow, sometimes extreme tragedy. A cemetery is not a sad place for me. Probably partly because we had a large one up the street from the house I grew up in and my brother and I used to play in it all the time.

I have a series of cemetery pics from the Puyallup tribe graveyard and the cemetery up the street from our house. Here they are: graveyards.

2 Comments:

At 2/27/2006 8:04 AM, Blogger Trista said...

There is a really cool graveyard in the small town where my parents moved when I was in High School. The graves in there date from the mid 1800's and early settlement of the valley. There are polygamist graves with the husband's large marker surrounded by all his wives' smaller ones, and wee ones for all the dead babies around their mothers. But what gets me, is that off at the very edge of the cemetary, in an area that may not have even been a part of the consecrated grounds at the time she was buried, is a small stone that reads only: Negro Woman and a date. No age, no name. I doubt that the people in that tiny community didn't know what her name was -- the community was so isolated that she couldn't have arrived on foot or by accident. Somewhere I have a picture. I should find it...

 
At 2/27/2006 10:02 AM, Blogger Sacha said...

Wow! I would love to see a picture if you find it.

When we went to North Carolina, a long, long time ago, it was cool to see these hold houses with tiny family graveyards in front.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home