Thursday, April 20, 2006

Become a Nurse!

I'm going to plug nursing because today I’m happy being a nurse.

The kind of nursing I do is not glamorous. It’s nursing in the trenches with heavy patient loads and little respect. Still, when I go home I know that I’ve used everything I have in my being to get myself through my day.

When I started nursing I felt I’d been plunged into the depths of hell. Between the learning curve and the harshness of the environment, I seriously questioned whether or not it was worth it. I was bitter, disillusioned, and angry at the wide gulf between my view of nursing as an idealistic nursing student and the reality of being a floor nurse.

Now I love it. I get to use every single part of me in my job: my brain, my body, my soul, my self. I earn my money like never before. I have to problem-solve constantly. No matter how much I learn there’s always more out there. And I’m never bored.

Which is why today I’m happy being a nurse. I hope anyone else out there considering nursing as a career will consider it seriously. There’s just nothing like it out there.

4 Comments:

At 4/20/2006 5:08 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I'm taking Microbiology right now - it's a prerequisite for the nursing program I hope to be entering in the fall of 2007. Glad to hear that it was worth the struggle for you!

 
At 4/20/2006 6:56 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

i'm rooting for you. I loved micro. What schools are you applying to?

 
At 4/20/2006 8:33 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I'm going to a local community college for an associate's degree. Nothing too spectacular.

 
At 4/21/2006 6:37 AM, Blogger Emmakirst said...

I graduated last year from nursing and i love it, there's so much you can do as a nurse!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home