Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Baby Name Game

Let me tell you, baby name books are downright annoying. I mean just stupider than stupid can be. They make these claims on their jackets to give you at least a billion names, you flip through them until your head hurts, then you realize that 99% of those names are full of crap.

Crap, I say.

Here are my general rules of baby naming.
  1. No awful nicknames. Always think about what they're going to call the little frog on the playground in third grade. Yes, think like the meanest nine year old you can conjure up. If it can get them beat up, don't do it.
  2. Your friends call dibs. Yes, they found the absolute BEST name in the entire world and it's now theirs. It's out of the running. It is no longer yours.
  3. You can't name them after your friends. I know someone who is naming her baby the same name as a friend of hers. It's a beautiful name, but really.
  4. Nothing too common. The world has enough Olivias and Sophies. There are too many Logans and Jacks. No more Hannahs and Emmas on the playground. These are all very nice names, but enough is enough.
  5. No pet names. You would not believe how many people I know who have a pet named Zoe, myself included. I can think of at least five Zoe's of various furry dispositions in about 2 seconds. Myself being named a name that is also used as a DOG NAME, I am somewhat sensitive to this one. The sad thing, I really love the name Zoe, almost so much that I would violate my own rules, except my little kitty is my Zoe bug.
  6. No made up names. Let Ashlin, Kaylin, Maylin, Conlin die the death they deserve.
  7. No weird spellings. Yes, that's you, Tiphanie, Oskar, Emilee, Madyson. Oh, and you too, Kevon. It is not nice to force a child to spend his or her entire life correcting the spelling of his or her name.
And those are a few of my rules. As you can see, it's going to be fun for M. and I to come up with the perfect, urban-hip, creative, I-have-two-moms-now-fuck-off name.

Actually, we may have our names.

And no, we're NOT telling.

9 Comments:

At 8/29/2006 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother picked the most uncommon name she could find. Back in 1977 she named me Olivia. There were never any Olivia's in my classes, and in fact I never heard anyone called by my name until I became an adult and some mother in a store was yelling at her daughter Olivia and I wheeled around thinking that she was screaming at me. Yes my name went from something like 312 on the most common list to number 6 in the rankings of popular names. So when you find the perfect uncommon name....just know that everyone will start naming their children by the same name.

Olivia- who is slightly hurt that her name is shunned because it is somehow common.

 
At 8/29/2006 7:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Will you at least tell us when the baby is born?

 
At 8/29/2006 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! I told my mother when we were waiting to adopt that we were going to use an E name. She insisted on telling me the next 14 times I saw her that "Emma" was way too common, even though I told her she wasn't getting any information until we had a kid. She was covering her bases.

We stuck to our word and when we got our son it was so much fun to tell everyone his name - and people who didn't like it kept it to themselves!

 
At 8/29/2006 10:01 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

Oh, Olivia, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. It is really a incredibly lovely, graceful and dignified name. I would never deny that. Simply overused. And clearly because of all its good assets

My name has also become more common, which on some level offends me. I've spent most of my life being the ONLY Sacha in the room. It's MY name, dammit. :)

 
At 8/30/2006 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you thinking about last names? My partner and I want us all to have the same last name... I think. But not a hyphenated name. Maybe we will all change to something that blends both of our last names? Is that too odd and new agey?

 
At 8/30/2006 5:23 PM, Blogger niki said...

Well, you could be like us, have the perfect, wonderful, beautiful name picked out for your daughter, have had it picked out for nearly a year. Not to mention how hard it is for us to agree on anything. Never having seen any other child named this...only to find out that our daughter's name is the little girl character's name in an upcoming movie. *hisses profanity* Now we'll have to either put up with more than one of our name in classes, etc, or people will think we named our daughter after a movie character. Or both. After our looong search, fighting, going back and forth, getting a BFP and now having a daughter...THIS happens. Is it hormones or hilarity, or just crap? Blah!

 
At 8/31/2006 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my rule is simple. don't name your child something that is hard to spell and hard to pronounce. i have an irish name. enough said. the names special k and i are thinking of for the twinkle are about as simple to spell and simple to pronounce as a name could possibly be.

 
At 8/31/2006 5:44 AM, Blogger Sacha said...

M. and I have the same last name. She changed hers to mine when we were married in 1999. We did it because we were planning to have a family and wanted a family name. We chose my last name because at the time we didn't have a relationship with M.'s parents and we've always been close (and supported) by mine.

As for freakin' movie names, poor M. has the same name as a popular soap opera character at the time of her birth. Her mother is VERY clear that she did NOT name her after said character. I'd say you should go for it if you really love the name.

 
At 10/09/2007 1:39 PM, Blogger Amy said...

EEK! My 2 1/2 year olds name is Zoe and we call her Zoe Bug...check out my blog and etsy shop! All titled My Zoe Bug...love that name, and fought my hubby to get it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home