Friday, September 01, 2006

Broccoli, the Unredeemable Vegetable

We had our first official appointment with Sally Midwife today. It was a freakin' 2.5 hour appointment. By the end of it I was about to collapse from exhaustion. I don't do so well on Fridays since they're always the day after I work two shifts.

There are a million, billion new rules that come with pregnancy. I swear we should all get a manual the moment we get our confirmation. Some nice grandma-like lady wearing a hand-knit cardigan should appear, gently tap us on the shoulder, hand us a huge book and tell us that EVERYTHING we need to know is there.

Better yet, just download into my brain. I'm overloaded as it is.

Instead you start on a journey of discovery, as in discovering all the things you CAN'T have. Today lunch meat was added to the list. And I happen to have some lovely sliced French ham in the 'fridge that M. will have to eat.

What has been added to the SHOULD have list? Broccoli. The world's most unredeemable vegetable (a somewhat insincere apology to all broccoli lovers out there). It's generally stinky, easily overcooked and requires a lot of butter, lemon or cheese to make it taste good. Unfortunately it seems to have all those lovely nutrients that I need: calcium, vitamin c, folic acid.

Blick.

What is good about Sally Midwife? Well, she said we can worry about 100% nutritional compliance later. Right now it's all about getting something in the pie hole.

8 Comments:

At 9/02/2006 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I understand, and what my ob told me, you can have lunch meat - it just must be heated up throughly to kill any bacteria that might be hanging around. So think ham & cheese melts.

 
At 9/02/2006 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, no offense, but sally midwife can just go "you know what" herself. If you're eating at this point and it's not total crap, she should shove it. I *just* started my prenatals again this week b/c the nasuea before was so bad.

What Jenny says is totally correct - I'm in public health and this is what the CDC says. Just heat the meat to steaming - i.e. 30 seconds or so in the microwave. I let it cool then. Frankly, I don't even do it half the time. But then again, I also eat all kinds of "soft" cheeses and sushi too! I'm a little lax on the food rules, I have to admit. I figure I eat healthier than 99% of Americans so if I want sushi, I'm having sushi!

 
At 9/02/2006 12:02 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Ditto what they said. I know a lot of women who zap their lunch meat. It's the listeria (spelling?) you are worried about and nuking it should kill it.

I was so surprised that soft ice cream as a bit "no" but apparently those machines build up bacteria and aren't cleaned out properly. I am really good with the food rules. I will eat feta if it's cooked in something like a spanikopita (spelling?) but I avoid it on salad. I figure I can do without some things while pregnant--it's not a huge deal.

I don't follow some strict guideline for eating. I take my prenatals daily (I'm using Perfect Prenatal which you can get a healthfood store) and they are really great. I also try and eat fruits and veggies and calcium. I think if you just try and eat some good things, you're okay. I wouldn't worry too much because I'm sure you're fine. :)

I'm not a big fan of the broc either, unless it's cooked with cheese. I rarely eat it. There are other food sources with those things anyway (did you get a list?) and the prenatals also have a good dose of it. Mine comes from food sources and includes the broc in it. :)

 
At 9/02/2006 12:03 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

I was so surprised that soft ice cream as a bit "no"

that was supposed to be "is a big no" but apparently my pregnancy brain is in full force. *sigh*

 
At 9/02/2006 2:14 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

Come on Sacha! You can figure out something to do with that vegetable. And if you can't...fuck it.

Many a pregnant woman has survived without broccoli. Just don't eat it.

I was not strict with some of those rules. So shoot me.

Also, hopefully your time of cravings and food being the most delectable thing EVER is comming SOON.

 
At 9/02/2006 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know i'm not pregnant yet, but i'm going to be one of those folk who is lax with the rules. case in point: i'm in the 2ww and i had a glass of beer last night. i reckon i could spend a lot of time worrying about what not to eat, and never eat if i took on board all of the rules cardigan lady would impart. i always think of all the women down through the ages in all the parts of the world with worse hygeine than us and with fewer books and blogs to read, and they all seem to be able to keep reproducing successfully. and then i reach for a beer.

 
At 9/04/2006 6:05 PM, Blogger Gus, Clay and Mommy said...

Just wait until the baby is born... then there's "no wheat" and "no peanuts" and "no tree nuts" and sometimes egg yolks are okay at some point, but not whites, and....
It NEVER ends I think...

 
At 9/05/2006 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel I have to stick up for my favorite green friend here! I love broccoli lightly steamed and just a squeeze of lemon juice on it. Or baked with any sort of cheese on it. And in stirfries it soaks up all the yummy sauce.

Okay enough...

I guess we shouldn't plan on all broccoli meals on the trip?

;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home