Monday, November 13, 2006

My uterus is above my belly button AND our new midwives

First, thank you to everyone for such supportive comments. It's so, so, SO good to hear people's stories and experiences. Y'all have made my world seem much less dismal.



M. and I have braved Big Hospital of Interventions and had our first appointment with Midwives-R-Us, the group that will be delivering The Unnamed One.

The downside. It's the same clinic where we had to endure Dr. Grandpa. Even worse, they put us in the same room where I had my emotional TTC breakdown AND fucking messed up our appointment. I just smiled, and kept knitting my pretty little baby blanket.

The upside? We are both REALLY HAPPY with our new situation. It's not what we planned but we really liked the midwife we met with. She spent two hours with us, answered all our questions, had the right approach and was straightforward about our situation. We even got the Penny Simpking book we've been meaning to buy for free!

Turns out Big Hospital of Interventions isn't so bad after all. Maybe only a fog of evil hangs over it instead of a dark cloud.

I realized that I'd been missing something with Sally Midwife. There were all these bad thigs floating out there. My DVT. My hypertension. But Sally Midwife never offered any solutions. M. and I felt constantly in limbo. And I felt like all the issues with my pregnancy were on my shoulders. There was just NO support. I felt so alone and helpless.

Midwives-R-Us is completely different. I have problems, they have solutions. I'm going to the hypertension clinic to be evaluated. I'll probably be put onto a beta blocker. I'm officially high risk. Well, moderate to high risk, because most likely I can still be managed by midwives. I'm not alone and I'm not helpless.

I do have to keep my urine in a jug in the fridge for twelve hours. M. is worried in her morning fog she'll mistake the jug for orange juice.

And my uterus is about an inch above my belly button. Amazing. I still can't believe there's a six or seven inch BABY somewhere in my body. It still seems so crazy.

5 Comments:

At 11/14/2006 7:12 AM, Blogger party b said...

so glad you are feeling better about things. ((hugs))

 
At 11/14/2006 9:28 AM, Blogger niki said...

Sometimes the change in plan is for the better and I'm happy to hear that it sounds like you'll be comfortable there. A note on the uterus growing, my word, once it hits your belly button, you'll grow like a manic for a month and will be astounded at how large it is. Two appointments ago, I was measuring at my belly button and a month later, I was up like 3 1/2 inches!

 
At 11/14/2006 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sacha,
I glad to see you've pulled yourself out of the dolldrums. I used to follow your posts on Preg.FF, but since being kicked off for lack of renewing my subscription, I now look for you and your DP here. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about an interesting nutrition site I learned about in regards to pregnancy, meternal health and fetal health. I thought, given some of your health concerns, that it might be of interest to you and your Bean. http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/index.html
--Emily

 
At 11/14/2006 11:00 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

I'm glad things got sorted out and you are happy with the new situation. Support is always nice. :)

 
At 11/17/2006 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you are getting the support you deserve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home