Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Smoothing out the Bumps

Thanks to everyone for the support during our bumpy ride.

A birth center doesn't feel like the right option for me. I'm hypertensive. I'm fat. I'm a worry wart nurse who would feel better knowing that if I crash there's help nearby. And I may be too high risk for a birth center.

And things are better now.

After being bummed out all day, M. and I met with the last doula we were interviewing. We fell in love with her and by the end of the conversation we were refocused on being where we need to be about the birth. It's about what we bring.

And we've found our doula.

As we were sitting talking, M. and I were actually able to visualize and get excited about the birth. We both were almost crying. That's when we knew she was the person we wanted at our birth.

So we're feeling okay if we have to go to Big Hospital of Interventions. We're going to have our doula. We're going to bring a labor tub. We're going to have my acupuncturist. Barring complications, we're going to have a midwife of some sort. It's going to be okay, no matter where it happens, or how it happens.

And we're going to request NO RESIDENTS. Big Hospital of Intervetions is a teaching hospital. My hospital is a teaching hospital. We share docs. The last thing I need is to realize that the new docs on the Med C team were looking at my hoo-ha at some point.

7 Comments:

At 11/01/2006 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Doulas rock. I labored at home with mine and I actually managed to have natural childbirth after getting to the hospital at 8cm! She knew I was scared of a hospital setting and that my labor would progress better at home, and she supported my HB and me enough that we could do it. Not saying that natural childbirth is the be-all and end-all of L&D, but if you knew what a pain chicken I am, you'd see how much a** my doula kicked that I didn't need drugs. (I didn't want an epidural primarily b/c needles squick me out, LOL) Anyway, you won't regret it...she'll make your labor a wonderful experience, I'm sure of it. Congratulations!

 
At 11/01/2006 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

delurking...

That's great news. We hired a doula for the birth of our son and she made all the difference. I also did not want any intervention and was at a large teaching hospital. The only intervention I ended up with was pitocin and I know without her it probably would have been a lot more. It's amazing how hospitals treat laboring women as if they are sick, they wanted to put an IV in as soon as I arrived. I tell everyone I know (and some I don't) to get a doula, its so comforting to have someone focused just on you and your birthing process.

 
At 11/01/2006 7:29 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

So glad that you found your doula and have a plan! :)

 
At 11/01/2006 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better about being supported during your birth. We had to have our second at the big hospital of interventions down here, but it turned out to be fine. We had a very supportive crew who were delighted to be present at an unmedicated birth. Your doula sounds fabulous.

 
At 11/01/2006 7:00 PM, Blogger Lil Jimmi said...

WORD to no residents. The resident that came into my room every morning was a dumb-ass. While L&D was great, post-partum land was another story. I got NO instructions on how to care for myself down below (little did I know that peeing was now a 10-step process).

So I asked Resident if I should be doing anything and he said "nothing."

Luckily I half figured out what to do on my own and a nurse finally filled me in on the rest. So yay nurses!

 
At 11/02/2006 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news!!!

 
At 11/02/2006 11:31 AM, Blogger charlotte said...

YAY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home