Sunday, October 29, 2006

Under Pressure

One of the really fun things about being pregant and being an RN is you get to be acutely aware of everything that can go wrong.

PIH, gestational diabetes, blood clots, preterm labor. All the ingredients you can throw into the pressure cooker of pregnancy.

Every guilt-laden bite of sugar is a step toward the inevitable. I get a little pain in my thigh and I start mentally going through the signs and symptoms of a DVT. A headache is the onset of PIH. Preterm labor is lurking around the corner.

Knowledge is power? Knowledge is a heavy weight when you carry it around every day.

Sometimes I wish I could be blissfully ignorant, sitting in a semi-comfortable office chair with enough time to spend 1/3 of my day surfing the 'net, cover my ears, hide in a corner, stay in bed with the covers over my head.

Instead I'm constantly immersed in the fraility of the human body and it always comes back to remind me that in the end, it's my body that has to do this.

My imperfect body.

Just me.

5 Comments:

At 10/29/2006 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey mama M! It's tuco&blondie. I'm excited to read your little bean is growing & growing.
I'll be joining FF again because again we are starting over, if you know what I mean. bummer huh. Oh well. Keep the faith right?
I hope to chat with you soon. I love your blog, it brings me so much hope. Keep up the good work, even if *you* have to keep us up to date with boring blogs...we (I)still love to read them.
:o)
-R

 
At 10/29/2006 8:23 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

I SO hear you. I have been privy to a lot of dead babies in the last 2 years, so I think this pregnancy will be way different, and way way more scary. I am trying not to go there, but when S is pregnant it will get harder.

But at least you know what to do, and you are taking care of yourself. That's all you can do.

It is so amazing that you can feel the little bugger already!!!

 
At 10/30/2006 8:45 AM, Blogger Krista said...

I know what you mean. I am only 6 weeks along and yet the anxiety of knowing that it is now all up to my imperfect body, the very one that seems to cause all the problems in the first place is daunting. But you seem to be doing great, and the fact that you felt movement already is amazing. I will be cheering for you.

 
At 10/31/2006 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you on that! I'm not even pregnant yet and J (partner and RN) has nightmares about all the things ze knows can go wrong. I know J will be a complete wreck when I'm actually pregnant.

 
At 10/31/2006 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try being a labor and delivery nurse, like me!!! It's TERRIFYING.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home