Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Shots Today

M. and I have been dreading this day. The day of shots.

I'm not going to get into the immunization debate. I can only state what we're doing and why. We're immunizing because I'm way to intimate with the destruction disease can wreak. And I could bring something home that could hurt Finn. It's too scarey. A lot of the nurses I know who have children won't wear their clothes home and leave their shoes outside. There's just this acute awareness of our ability to carry our work home to our families.

At the same time, we're not going into this blindly. We've looked at all the immunizations and will probably skip some of them. Not any today but some of the ones he could get later.

Our appointment is at 11:15. It's for all three of us...the joy of having a family practice doc! We're planning to come straight home and just hang out for the rest of the day so the boy can get some rest. We have our thermometer and Tylenol ready. I'm going to breastfeed him when he gets his shots.

Wah!

3 Comments:

At 5/29/2007 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi :) I've been lurking and reading you blog for about a month now. I love it! I'm newly pregnant (11+ weeks) and I've already been thinking about the "shots". My friend Steph and her partner decided against it. I'm leaning towards it, well, because I'm scared that if something happens I'll feel guilty about making the wrong decision. I'm also in the process of taking my nursing classes (midlife carreer change).

Thanks for sharing your experience!

 
At 5/29/2007 12:00 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Good luck! We had a rough evening with a few screaming fits after Riley's 2 month shots but she was just fine later that night. Riley didn't cry for the needle containing the 5 vaccines but cried for the bigger pneumonia needle. Anyway, good luck to you three. It's really not that bad and will be over with before you know it. I hated the heel prick test the most so this was a piece of cake in comparison. :P The only other thing Riley had was an upset tummy the next day.

 
At 5/29/2007 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be really interested to know your shot schedule, if you wouldn't mind sharing. We are trying to work it out ourselves. I am half leaning toward just having them on schedule but still want to know if there are some easy things to swap out or move around that might actually matter at all. So far our research has been inconclusive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home