Saturday, May 19, 2007

Cats, cats everywhere!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mr. Fussy Pants is 100% crashed out and it's a GOOD thing. Yay!

Beth has requested an update on how the cats are dealing with Finn. Just to clarify, we are borderline CRAZY cat ladies with FOUR cats. Clearly we needed a baby a long, long time ago.

We didn't have a lot of time to get the girls used to the fact that a baby was coming into the house. The best we could do was bring one of his hats home from the hospital and let them sniff it. If we'd had time, I would have loved to bring in recordings of a baby crying as well.

When we brought Finn home, the girls were kicked out of the bedroom. For years it's been me, M. and four cats on the bed. Now they have to sleep in the living room and not with us. It's not that I'm worried about them hurting the baby. It's mainly that they will disrupt his sleep and ours as well. Having a cat sitting on you purring doesn't help with going to sleep.

We've had some minimal acting up but nothing major. Only one really challenges me on going into the back of the house as I'm stumbling into the living room for a 3 am breast feeding (I can't become proficient at side lying too soon!). They're not fed on time as much any more. They have to ask for attention when they want it and they still may not get it.

Our two oldest, Tamu and Mischa, were quick to figure out who was getting the attention and that they have a higher chance of getting attention if they get near him. Mischa simply doesn't understand that she CAN'T WALK ON THE BABY!!! "Mischa, don't walk on the baby..." is a phrase heard around our house on a regular basis.

Sophie, our dilute calico, could really care less. She lives under the coffee table and head butts our feet when she wants pets.

Zoe...oh, our poor little baby who isn't the baby anymore. She's doing amazingly well considering. I think a big part of it is that she's always been good about asking for what she needs. She does act up a little bit more...running around like a maniac now and then. She is so sweet and that's shining through. I try really hard to make special time for her. It's hard.

I just read an article that cited a study showing that children who grow up in a household with 2 or more pets will have a 50% less chance of allergies and develop a greater sense of empathy. I can't wait for Finn to start to pay attention to his furry sissies.

They are still my babies. They're just not my BABY.

7 Comments:

At 5/19/2007 6:49 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Interesting post. I was borderline crazy cat lady when Angele met me. I had 4 cats. She brought a dog into the mix (Molly). Unfortunately, one passed away so now we have 3 cats and 2 dogs. They have all done really well with the baby except for Molly who poops on the stairs from time to time (ugh) and Jerzey, our tuxedo cat and drama queen. Jerzey demands more attention than the other cats and sometimes tries to step on the baby while she's sleeping on me. But her stepping isn't as bad as Whoopi, the eldest who I've had since the summer after my 2nd year of university. She thinks the baby is slightly interesting but completely in the way when she wants to get on my lap. She just steps without considering that the baby's lap isn't the same as my own. But anyway, back to Jerzey who claws at our furniture when she wants attention. She claws and then you yell "Jerzey!" to which she replies with a little meow and a run to your side so that you can pet her. It's her way of getting your undivided attention. LOL

I agree with the good points of growing up with pets. I think having pets has taught me and my siblings a lot of compassion towards all living creatures.

Also heard that about allergies and hope that it's true. Neither myself nor the donor have allergies so we're hoping Riley won't either.

 
At 5/20/2007 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, so good to hear about cats and babies working. We have two cats and think they're up to the challenge, but it will be impossible to tell until our little man gets here. Gracie, the older, will probably be very cranky but will just sit up high somewhere and sulk. Poppy, the 3 year old, is still like a kitten in a lot of ways and will probably be very interested - she'll be the one we have to tell not to walk on the baby. Will be interesting to see if it shapes up the way we think.

Bloody gorgeous picture! We photograph our cats so often I imagine there'll be hundreds of cat + baby photos taken here.

x Ruth

 
At 5/20/2007 9:54 AM, Blogger ohchicken said...

oh dear lord we really must be ready for children.

4 dogs. 4 cats.
really.

this is going to be interesting...

love the photo btw :)

 
At 5/20/2007 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also looking forward to seeing how our 2 cats and a dog react to our december baby! Funny side note... M's glasses are the EXACT same ones that I was drooling to buy yesterday... small world- and great taste!

 
At 5/22/2007 5:43 AM, Blogger frog said...

I'm so glad to read this! I can only hope that should we ever find ourselves with a tadpole that our five furbabies will adjust as well as yours have.

 
At 5/22/2007 6:26 PM, Blogger Shelli said...

One of our senior citizens is FINALLY allowing Malka to squeal and get all up in her face, bless her little heart.

When Malka was younger, they were curious, then they because scared, and now, they accept her presence, even though Cougie bear still kind of doesn't...

 
At 5/23/2007 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for indulging me - we are having the cat walking on baby prob. too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home