Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Reprocessing The Birth

Birth is a strange thing. It's an event that lasts for a finite period of time. Yet I feel like our birth sticks with me and bubbles up every now and then.

Our birth stays with me in the strangest ways. I've been practicing Vipassana meditation at a very amateur level on and off for the last year or so. It was probably the most useful thing in getting me through labor, but now when I start doing some of that same breathing as a meditation, I'm back in the middle of labor all over again.

M. and I spent last night going over our birth again.

I look at the birth of Finn as labor and birth. I'm damn proud of our labor. We worked hard. M. was truly my birth partner. It was good. I was the Coyote-esse.

The birth feels different.

When the decision to have a c-section was made, all the involvement and control we'd fought for flew out the window. My memory of our son being brought into this world is all about feeling like I couldn't breathe and my arms flapping uncontrolably and being progessively drugged to the point that I can't really remember breast feeding him for the first time. M. is still sad that she didn't get to cut the cord. I still struggle with saying "When Finn came out" instead of "When Finn was born."

I'm still sad.

Birthing a child is something that stays with you forever. Maybe it's meant to because not so long ago we didn't have medical interventions, doctors, monitors, and all that jazz. We had our mothers and their mothers and their mothers who carried their birth stories and passed them to us. Maybe that's why birth clings to us and sneaks into our psyche: it's how women teach women to birth.

3 Comments:

At 7/26/2007 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same feelings about my c-section for a long time after my son was born (he's 16 months.) I felt guilty for some reason, like I should have been able to push him out (I pushed for 2 hours and then got a fever-it was either forceps or c-section.) I wonder a lot of the time if I had a different doctor or midwife than the one on call, if I could have had him naturally. I would even get jealous of women who were able to have their children vaginally. I'd like to say that the feeling goes away, but really you just start to forget and realize that the time from his birth is the most important and not how he actually got here. Hang in there, I promise it will get better.

 
At 7/26/2007 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My DS was born via c-section 10 weeks ago, and up until that day I was very happy to have only one baby. Now I'm trying to convince DH into a second one because my birth experience was so bad. You are not alone! :hugs: Rachel

 
At 7/26/2007 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sacha,

I really don't have any words of wisdom (because I never had the traumatic experience of a c-section), but your post touched my heart and I wanted to at least offer words of comfort...

You are such a BAD-ASS! My labors were mercifully short. Intensely painful, but short (45 minutes, 39 minutes and 1.5 hours - the last was the longest, but I only had four painful contractions with that one.) Anyway, my point is...you ROCK! You suffered and worked so hard for so long that you put my "easy" labors and deliveries to shame.

You also managed to master the fine art of breast feeding with giant knockers. I failed with all three children. I HATED breast feeding (never have liked anything touching my nipples.) I liked the fact that it was the healthiest thing for my children, so I gave it a good try each time. With my oldest, I managed to make it for 8 weeks before I finally caved. It got to the point that it was actually interfering with the bonding between my daughter and myself. At that point, I decided to just pump and bottle feed as long as I still produced milk. It was the best decision for me and I have no regrets, but I do suffer the occasional pang of envy when I see mothers who have mastered something I really wanted but could not attain. I tried with my other two babies, but I stopped as soon as I began to feel the same stress I felt when I nursed Tana. I continued to give them nourishment from my body as long as possible, it just came out of a bottle and it was so much better. My babies felt no stress from me during those feedings and they were wonderful bonding experiences. Still...I wish I had not been such a sissy. Never have had a high tolerance for pain, and breast feeding was very painful for me.

Anyway, running long now...you are a FANTASTIC mother, and a tough one at that. Finn is so lucky. He has TWO awesome mama's and such a bright future ahead filled with so much love.

Love,
Traci

 

Post a Comment

<< Home