Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hard Decisions

Isn't parenting supposed to be filled with hard decisions. I guess so, but that doesn't make things suck any less.

M. and I have had to make one of those hard decisions around Finn's bedtime. He's giving us signals that he wants to go to bed earlier and we've decided we need to follow them. Seems harmless, except he wants to go to bed at 7 pm and I don't get home from work until 8 pm. We've been keeping him up until I get home so I can nurse and those hours between 6pm and 8pm have turned into the witching hours, and then he's often happy to see me and doesn't get to bed until 9pm.

The choice became between me seeing Finn or having a screaming little boy with zero coping tools left. We chose him over me. It's the right thing to do, but I'm sad. Maybe it seems like an easy decision, but what it means is that when I work I won't see my boy for 48 hours.

I already miss him.

10 Comments:

At 10/24/2007 6:05 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Oh, that's tough. I am so sorry. I can imagine how much it hurts. Hang in there.

 
At 10/24/2007 6:09 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

aw that's tough!! :( but you're doing the right thing for him and that makes you a great mom!

 
At 10/24/2007 6:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sorry. My little boy (4 months) has set his bedtime between 6 and 7. We pick him up from daycare around 5 so I also don't get to see him much. It's hard, but as you said, no coping when he stays up later. My sweet little boy turns into a crying little monster.

 
At 10/24/2007 6:49 AM, Blogger Lil Jimmi said...

Ugh, that's so hard. It will be good for him that he goes to sleep when he needs to, but I can imagine how hard it'll be for you.

 
At 10/24/2007 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about letting him have an hour nap in the evening between 6-7 and then you can get him up and he ccan be up and ready to see you. That is what we do with Sofia.

 
At 10/24/2007 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't you wake him up to breastfeed him once you're home and before you head to bed? sleep nursing him would still give you both the comfort and togetherness. I don't see why it would have to be 48 hours??

Sorry I don't have a google account!!
Allie

 
At 10/25/2007 5:11 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. That is a really hard decision to have to make but you know what's right for him.

 
At 10/25/2007 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sacha, that's really hard. Every baby is so different but when you do go to bed can you bring him into the bed with you and nurse so you don't have to pump and can have some snuggle time? Or maybe that would totally mess things up.

 
At 10/25/2007 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do bring him into bed at his first waking after we go to bed, so I get to sleep and snuggle with him, which I LOVE. It's not the same as seeing his bright little face and spending quality time together. It'll be fine because it's what he needs and I'll adjust. I just have to keep reminding myself of all the flexibility my schedule buys me and not focus on the downsides. Blah.

 
At 10/25/2007 8:08 PM, Blogger party b said...

I am sorry that's so tough. I too work in the evenings at least one night a week. The compensation, at least in our household, is that I got to come home, PEE, eat and THEN nurse her (as she woke to nurse still earlier). ... Now it is a 7pm bedtime and she's happy as a clam in the morning.

Still, I do enjoy the evenings where I am home to be part of her bedtime!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home