Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Brokeback Mountain

I don't want this blog to turn into just whining about a baby all the time. Project Baby is taking a lot of my emotional energy at the moment but it's not what I'm all about.

Brokeback Mountain

I have to admit that I adore most of my gay male friends because typically their minds are about as dirty as my own. What do they say about the gay epic? Anything about the superb acting? The cinemtography? The haunting music? Nope. Just "Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, they're SO HOT." I valiantly ignored my friend Roy who insisted on referring to the movie as Bareback Mounting.

What did I think of the movie? It was very good but it was lacking. The relationship between the two leads was never brought to the level of intimacy you would expect between two people who in many ways are devoted to each other their entire lives. Yes, there was sex. There was even hot kissing. But there wasn't that moment of tenderness where the audience gets to share in the connection two people have that goes beyond fucking. I've read the story and it's there in the story. And it's in the movie as well but it's been banished to the status of traditional gay subtext. You get it but you have to read between the lines.

Does this movie deserve an oscar? Abso-fucking-lutely. Heath Ledger alone will blow you away. He brings all the pain, isolation and lonliness of Ennis DelMar to life. The cinematography is amazing. You are shown the isolation that the characters feel.

Maybe it's okay to read between the lines to get the relationship because Brokeback Mountain is all about what is never said. Damn, I'm going to start crying again.

Here's the story by Annie Proulx: Brokeback Mountain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home