Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Muffins and Marriage

Since Canada (stupidly) elected Steven Harper and a conservative government, I've wondered on and off if legal marriage there is threatened. Truthfully, I don't think so. It's hard to take an entire country backwards and to remove rights from an entire group of people. A small part of me is worried.

You see, M. and I have a Canadian marriage. And it's our second marriage. The first was a church ceremony in 1999. Good lord, I don't want to do a third. Although I'd figuratively marry her over and over and over again, both of us agree that we've married each other enough times at this point.

I can only hope WA state will get its butt in gear and recognize our marriage.

If we had to do it again, it's going to be funny, in the back yard, pot luck, bbq, strange dresses, pudding for dessert, and we're inviting the pope.

In the meantime, I'm making muffins. Because that's what I like to do. M. got me The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook from the library and I'm cooking my way through it. I'm also subtley stalking DtD since I haven't seen him in three weeks. How am I subtle? I'm sending him brain waves that he really should decide to take me grocery shopping since M. has the car and I'm stuck here alone. This has actually worked in the past but considering that he gets up at 5 pm, probably won't work today. I've also directly suggested he and BF come over for dinner on Friday. That will probably be more successful.

TTFN.

3 Comments:

At 2/07/2006 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well they can and they can't. Our right to marriage was determined by the supreme court to be included in section 15(1) Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, even though sexual orientation is not mentioned there. Having said that, the parliament debated and passed an amendment to the definition of marriage, and technically they shouldn't have been able to vote on an charter right. So... that opens the door for Harper to waltz through. I am worried, sad, disgusted and PISSED. But, so are others.

From Canada.

 
At 2/08/2006 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harper CLAIMED prior to the election that he would respect existing marriages, and that any change he would make would pertain to FUTURE same sex marriages.

Mind you, he also said that he wouldn't accept (or seek) defections from other parties post-election and that he believed the senate should be elected, and then he appointed a senate member to be in his cabinet, soooo....

I don't know. But I don't THINK he can go back on existing marriages. Plus, realistically, he doesn't have enough support to do so, as he has a squeeker minority govt., and the Liberals, Bloc and NDP are pro-SSM.

 
At 7/18/2009 1:15 PM, Blogger S said...

I'm happy to see the Harper issue addressed... ;)

All I can say is I am a Canadian lesbian, and I did NOT vote for the lunatic! Oddly enough, neither did anyone I have talked to... still not sure how he got the job... must have been Alberta.

The good news is that as of 2009, he has been unable to turn back the clock on same-sex marriage in Canada - his own party voted against him to drop the issue and just leave us alone :) The sky has yet to fall, it always stops raining for the Toronto Pride Parade, and my wife and I were happily married in November of 2008. That sounded awful - we're still happily married!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home