Sunday, March 05, 2006

How to get a Free Pregnancy Test...

All you have to do is do something stupid. I have discovered the worst possible way to discover that you’re pregnant.

I stuck myself at work today. Right through the pad of my thumb with an insulin needle. A dirty insulin needle.

As part of the full package deal when you get a needle stick is a blood test. AND a pregnancy test. What a terrible way to find out you’re pregnant.

It was not fun dealing with the anxiety and not being able to tell my coworkers that this is doubly hard because we’re actively trying to have a baby. It’s isn’t fun even having the possibility of AZT on the horizon. The nurse practitioner who took care of me said that going on the drugs would be a problem if I’m pregnant. And thank goodness for the rapid HIV test. Without the rapid HIV it would take days to get the results back and I’d have to be on the drugs until then.

The bigger risk is hep C. It’s easier to transmit than HIV and the tests take a few days to come back. Luckily I picked a good patient with a low risk behavior profile.

Onto brighter things. Or at least funnier.

DtD and his BF were going out last night and DtD tells me that he’s only planning to have 2-3 drinks because that’s how many he’s allowed to have according to the “directions”.

Directions?

Did I miss something or do penis’ come with directions? A manual? Is there a warranty? Is he afraid we’ll send his back?

He also said he’s started taking zinc to help his sperm count. I see our boy has found the world of internet research. So cute.

7 Comments:

At 3/06/2006 4:35 AM, Blogger Emmakirst said...

That sucks, sorry bout the needle stick, hope all tests come back clear.

 
At 3/06/2006 7:35 AM, Blogger Trista said...

Oh Wow. How's that seed for anxiety working? I'm rubbing that spot on my ear for you!

 
At 3/06/2006 11:09 AM, Blogger charlotte said...

very cute! it's great that he's making an effort. sorry about the neddle scare. how terrifying.

 
At 3/06/2006 1:02 PM, Blogger Sacha said...

Thanks for all the concern from everyone. It made me feel better just to write this post, got some of the worry out. I know it will be okay. Needle sticks are part of the job and happen to almost everyone. The good thing is they usually happen one time. The extra good thing is that we didn't end up ruining our cycle because I had to go onto AZT. The rapid HIV test is new at my hospital and I'm very grateful for it at the moment.

Hugs to everyone!

 
At 3/06/2006 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eek about the needle stick. I'm glad that the patient was of a low risk factor profile.

 
At 3/06/2006 3:02 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

ugh! what a pain in the needle stick.

 
At 3/07/2006 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sacha - sorry to hear about the needle stick! How scary!! : ( I wanted to add my two cents about your donor - wow he IS wonderful. You gals are so blessed. In addition to the zinc, make sure he is taking at least 500mg of vitamin E a day. It helps "the boys" swim! : ) best of luck this cycle. Love, tiffany

 

Post a Comment

<< Home