Friday, August 04, 2006

Baby, baby...are you OKAY?

I took my BLS class yesterday (code for CPR for health care providers). I was nauseated most of the class. Yay!

They had a video that walked us through the steps of BLS. Part of it was people telling their real-life stories, how CPR helped them. One of the segments involved a mother talking about her baby.

I STARTED CRYING.

Good lord, save that baby! M. has been laughing at me ever since.

Then we had to do infant CPR. The first thing you do with CPR is confirm that the person is unresponsive (Annie, Annie, are you okay?). As I was shaking the baby the instructor gently informed me that the best way to see if an infant is okay is to wiggle its foot.

I tritely informed her that there is no way in hell I ever expect to be taking care of infants then proceeded to pick up the baby (no babies were harmed in the making of this story) by one foot and toss it around. I was completely serious, then all of the sudden I had this realization.

Dumb shit, you WILL be taking care of a baby. Um, you're PREGNANT.

I think the instructor thinks I have the maternal instinct of a rock now. It was a damn doll and I was tired.

7 Comments:

At 8/04/2006 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I so needed a good laugh today... I bet you couldn't believe it when you started crying....lol Good lord, save that baby.. ROFL!

Have a good weekend Mamas.

 
At 8/04/2006 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww...sounds like you just need a stress break! I never ever used to cry about babies or even have much interest in the babies I saw around me, until I had my daughter. All of a sudden it's not an abstract concept anymore. I'm betting you were so convinced you would never get to be a mom that it literally wasn't real to you. At least you gave the instructor an interesting day.

You and M. go and have yourselves a nice Mamas night out! Have a great weekend!

 
At 8/04/2006 11:23 AM, Blogger Mo said...

The tears and the fatigue; you are SO pregnant! Enjoy your week-end.

 
At 8/04/2006 4:44 PM, Blogger Emmakirst said...

Too cute

 
At 8/04/2006 4:57 PM, Blogger Momai said...

My eyes are watering from laughing so hard, and my partner couldn't resist the urge to come read the post over my shoulder, so now she's giggling, too. You marvelous example of pregnantdom, you! (if pregnantdom isn't a word, it should be!) And after trying for so long, and with the brand-new hormonal stuff going on, you can totally be excused for your momentary memory lapse.

 
At 8/04/2006 5:26 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

did you mean to quote from a Michael Jackson song?? aaaaaah!

That completely cracked me up.

 
At 8/04/2006 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the combination of tears and belligerence! I was already creeped out by the CPR training I've done on "annie" dolls - I didn't know there were annie babies too... Why do they have to be annie?

-Annie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home