Monday, August 14, 2006

Practitioner #2

Well, we had our meeting with Sally Midwife.

What I liked:
  1. She's low interventions. At the same time if interventions (pit, epidural, vacuum extraction, c-section) become necessary, as in the baby is in distress, she'll be quite upfront.
  2. She's a nurse. Yes, I love that she's a nurse. Safety first. Because we're all about safety.
  3. She's supportive but realistic about natural child birth. Cool.
  4. She's all about minimal testing. She was very strong about really thinking about what you'll do with the information.
  5. She didn't treat me like a fat old pregnant woman. I did find out though that the hospital we're probably going to could actually force me to go to UWMC as a barriatric patient. Hmmmm.
  6. She has eons of experience. One of the best in the area.
What I didn't like:
  1. Her office is in her house, and it has dogs. Now, for some of you out there that would be nice and homey. For me, who is NOT a dog person, it wasn't so cool. I guess I expected a little more professionalism. Just a bit too cuddly for me.
  2. She challenged me on my pregnancy symptoms. Well, are you feeling sick? On and off. Well, are you getting breast pain? I never get breast pain in the first place. Are your breasts getting bigger? Not that I can really tell, but 10% increase for me is like putting a bucket of water in the pacific ocean.
Overall, she had all the right characteristics. I can just be a bit of a cranky customer and I really hate new practitioners. We're looking into one other nurse midwife but it looks like Sally Midwife will probably be the one.

Okay kids, 1.5 weeks and we're at 8 weeks. If we're facing fetal demise, we should know by then. I'd be happier if I were puking my guts out but NOT REALLY.

6 Comments:

At 8/14/2006 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate it that you're not getting any comments these days! Are all the TTCers on vacation?

Anyway, congratulations on finding a practitioner that meets at least most of your criteria. That can be tough and is especially important with something as emotional as a pregnancy. Maybe you can tell her about your dog issues and she can make sure you don't run into them when you come for your visits?

Anyway, Cheers to you and M and baby Oni, may she keep hanging in(side) there!

 
At 8/14/2006 8:52 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

Choosing your practitioner is IMPORTANT. I encourage you to really make sure you are totally comfy with her.

And absolutely speak up about the dogs! Anyone dealing with "the pregnant" should be well aware of their neediness, sensitivity to SMELL, and their pickiness. If she is not cool with a 'hey can we not do the dog thing' talk, don't use her because god knows what else she won't be sensitive to. Oh, also what does your gut (not the logical part) say about her?

I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU.

 
At 8/15/2006 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about symptoms. Plenty of women have almost none. It's ridiculous that she was acting like that about them. Would she rather you be in the hospital on an IV not able to keep fluids down?

 
At 8/15/2006 6:42 AM, Blogger Calliope said...

"but 10% increase for me is like putting a bucket of water in the pacific ocean"

OH! man- spit out the coffee laughing over that!

I agree with Charlotte about having a dog talk. & if she gets huffy about that- eff her.

xo

 
At 8/15/2006 9:12 AM, Blogger Mo said...

Not really a dog person here, so I can definitely relate to being put off by that, especially when pregnant! I wasn't very pukey when I was pg with Mitchell, but definitely exhausted and it sounds like you definitely have that...Hang in there. Is it just me, or does the time just crawl during the first weeks?

 
At 8/15/2006 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey don't worry about not getting sick, be grateful. I never ever felt sick while I was pregnant. I never even felt pregnant until my belly started growing, and even then it was hard to feel pregnant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home