Friday, August 04, 2006

Grandma Slip Sliding Away

Mafalda on her 90th birthday

I never know how to talk about death. I hate how everyone uses euphemisms: heading toward the light, slipping away. At the same time, it's hard to use the words that truly describe the situation. Death. Dying. A final shutting down of the systems. The last beat of a heart. The last flicker of thought that will ever happen on this earth.

My 92 year old grandmother is dying.

Part of me says 'finally'. She's been mostly unresponsive for months now, just sitting in her chair with well-meaning caregivers who do her hair, put on her jewelry, wheel her around and spoon mechanical soft food into her mouth. She is a vain woman. She would hate to live this way.

Part of me can't believe that very soon, maybe even as I write this, I'm going to have only one living grandmother.

She's officially comfort care (another euphemism) and M. and I are heading down tomorrow. I debated if we should go down at all, but it seems proper to see her, even if she doesn't know we're there. It seems right to in the very least be present.

One life begins, another ends. I had always hoped she would make it long enough to see her great grandchild. Maybe somehow she knew that in the least part of her is going to be carried on.

4 Comments:

At 8/04/2006 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-( Sacha, I'm sorry to see this. Somehow it's even harder in the context of ttc and pregnancy. I've found myself thinking about my own grandparents lately, even though all of them have been gone for years.

Hugs.

 
At 8/05/2006 6:43 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

Regardless of age or state of health- grandparents are special. & to be on the brink of loosing one, well, that is just plain hard.

On some level she will know that you are there.

Thinking of you.
xo

 
At 8/07/2006 8:30 AM, Blogger Sacha said...

Thanks everyone. We went to see her and she just looked beautiful. I can't explain it and I'm not sure someone should look beautiful when they're dying, but she did. I'm so glad I got to see her. They gave last rites yesterday and I think she'll die today or tomorrow. But you never know. My grandma is a tough bird, tenacious to the end.

 
At 8/07/2006 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thinking of you guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home