Saturday, November 25, 2006

Another Thanksgiving Come and Gone

Next year we'll have a little boy to take care of. M. and I have wanted kids for at least twelve years but it still feels strange to realize that we have a finite amount of time before we are never alone again and we become PARENTS.

Announcing the Sex

We had dinner with both sets of parents, my brother and my Fake Grandma Tony (don't ask) and decided to hold a drawing and whoever pulled his/her name from our ziplock baggie would get to tell the family the sex of the baby.

But first we asked the room for a show of hands. How many thought a girl? Dead silence. Everyone is staring at us. Finally M.'s dad slowly puts his hand up.

And it wasn't only our family. Jessica thought it would be a boy. BFF KK thought it would be a boy. Could the world just pretend we had a chance at a girl?

The Hypertension Saga Continues

I was talking to my MIL and mom about how happy M. and I are with our care at Big Hospital of Interventions, especially around my hypertension. I told them that we hadn't known that 25% of women with hypertension early in pregnancy will convert to PIH.

My mother pipes up...One out of four, that's not bad! Look at the good side, the odds are with you!

WTF?

You see, my mother is the eternal polyanna. Her version of managing my stress is pretending that nothing bad can or will happen. Which is why she's trying to convince me that having a 25% chance of having PIH isn't a BAD thing. Ha! The point of me telling them was that with medication my chances go down to 6%, a much more comfortable level of risk. And that we weren't being managed under our other midwife, which would mean I'd spend an entire pregnancy with a 25% chance, NOT a comfortable level of risk.

Naming the Boy

The family is very anxious about what we're going to name our child. We actually had a unplanned naming session after Thanksgiving dinner. M. and I are being solid that NO ONE will know the name until the baby arrives or even our short list. Firstly, we're not really ready to settle on any name for The Unnamed One. We both feel this is a very serious task and want to give it a respectful amount of time. Second, we want to have something about this pregnancy of our own.

In the meantime the family is living in mortal fear of the name being something completely off the wall. This from people who named me SACHA in 1971.

Luckily, both sets of parents settled on a name THEY all approve of that contains a family name from both sides. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home