Friday, December 01, 2006

February Showers

In case you haven't seen all the tell tale signs, M. and I are UBER planners. We're planning that the baby shower should happen sometime in February, early enough that we'll know what things we'll have to buy for ourselves. The scary thing? February is VERY VERY SOON. And that means...time to get going on the shower.

M. has this vision of the shower that includes over stuffed couches and everyone gathered in a circle as we open our presents. Pretty traditional. My vision is pizza and beer in the back room of our neighborhood pizza joint. We're having a hard time reconciling the two. And considering that we're not really supposed to plan our own shower, we have a dilemma.

And who is supposed to throw the damn thing? My mom has offered but 1) doesn't live in the area, and 2) mom throwing a shower is not kosher. Jessica has offered, but doesn't want to use her house. We can't use our house...again, not kosher. And we still have BFF KK, who has not offered but we really want her involved. Then we have my MIL. She can't be shut out.

It took a village to make our boy, seems it may take a village to throw the shower as well. Goodness!

We have a few options out there still. There's a gallery in the hood that we may be able to rent out. We have a good caterer who could make a few dishes. Mom, Jess, KK, MIL could make a few more. M. has told me that I am NOT allowed to cook for the shower. Again, not kosher. I say NO FAIR.

I'm really excited about our shower, no matter how it turns out.

6 Comments:

At 12/01/2006 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kosher, smosher! If you were doing things "kosher" would you really be married to a woman and knocked up with donor sp*rm?

Do what makes sense to you, and plan to have some FUN!

We ended up having three showers: one in the Bay Area, one hosted by my godmother (this was the parents/grandparents/aunts/cousins shower), and one big ole l*sbian baby shower at our house (hosted by K's godmother). Each one was special and wonderful, and wouldn't have been nearly as fun if we had crammed everyone into the same place at the same time.

Enjoy your shower(s?),

 
At 12/02/2006 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was gonna say...having it at your house is no big deal! Our (straight, male) friend & my aunt threw the one at our house and it was by far my favorite- all our friends and local familia was there. Said friend brewed up a couple of special kegs of beer and my aunt cooked up a storm! We also had a family shower out in the valley (ann's family lives about 2 1/2 hours away) that was more conservative with baby shower games & no men allowed (eyes rolling!) and still very amazing and sweet, but the partying and cake and everyone coming to US at our house was really great too. Have fun with whatever you do- it's a really exciting time. Prepare to cry A LOT!

-Conchita

 
At 12/02/2006 2:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

since our due date was a day different from yours, we, too did our shower(s) in february....ummm, 3rd and 4th weekends. hope still felt good, and wasn't too huge....and yes, it gave us some time to get things we really needed before the wee one came.

as for what you end up doing: easier said than done, right--but try to do what is easiest/least stressful for you.

 
At 12/02/2006 5:51 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

I would just do what you want. I don't think there are real rules about what you *have* to do. We had 1 surprise shower at my MIL's house hosted by my MIL and my sister-in-law. We are having the 2nd after the baby is here. Probably at our house because it is convenient and my sister will host it. Do what feels right for you.

 
At 12/02/2006 7:27 PM, Blogger Sophia said...

i'm too much of a control freak to not plan my own shower. I would also probably have like four showers: two workplace showers (mikey's job and my job), one queer co-ed shower and one "traditional" nightmare for the families.

 
At 12/04/2006 10:25 AM, Blogger Trista said...

We had the 4 showers as described by Sophia. If you do it that way then there's room to have both yours and Megan's visions fulfilled. Thing upholstery and tea cakes for the family and beer and pizza and "pin the sperm on the egg" for your friends...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home